Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Things With Teeth

Kaylee is working me over hard these days. She's like a little piranha that smells blood in the water, and she's going for it. See, she's wanted her ears pierced since she was...I don't know. Very very small. I told her she'd need to wait until she was older. She got me down to 10 years old, and that was the end of it, until recently when I told her that if she got all A's on her next two report cards I'd let her get her ears pierced a little early. From there on out it's been downhill. She's relentless. Today we spent the entire time in the car on the way to school with her starting off saying "Okay Mom, let's negotiate." (Her words). She wanted to know if she saved up the money herself to get it done if she could get it done earlier. She wanted to know if she did some pet-sitting or did everything for her own cats if she could get it done earlier. She wanted to know if she kept her room spotless for 3 months if she could get it done earlier. Her negotiations hit a snag when she said "I'll do ANYTHING!" See, a good negotiator would never let go of all their cards at once like that, but I'll tell you what, she's certainly got a good start going. ;)

Today Steve and I swapped vehicles for awhile, so when I picked Kaylee up from school it was in the Corvette. We were halfway home before she said "I didn't know you knew how to drive the Corvette." Grr. So I said "*sigh*, don't you remember me picking you up at school in the Vette and you saying 'does Daddy know you're driving his car?' and me telling you it wasn't just HIS car?" "Oh yeah, I forgot!" She also informed me that I didn't park in the same place in the garage daddy does, so I told her he could (and would) move it to where he pleased. I don't drive the Vette much (not because I can't, Kaylee JoAnn!) ;), but I have to admit, it's still fun, except when you're traveling through town in stop and go and swooping traffic. The back roads are great. (There's reason number three I don't drive the Vette much...I can't afford the inevitable tickets and insurance boosts.) I felt a little conspicuous today, though I know the people that kept looking over weren't actually looking at me, and I've never really felt the desire to put lipstick and high heels on in the Jeep. (Just kidding...) ;)

This morning I discovered what Kaylee tried to tell me last night: our toilet is sinking into the floor. THAT'S not good. She came out of our bathroom last night and said "Mommy! There's a crack by the toilet and it's all soft!" Well, we've had a soft area for awhile there that we've known about, so I said "I know Kaylee, it's okay, we're working on that." So this morning I walk in there and find it is not what it was and it is very much Not Okay. Good thing we have two restrooms in this house, because if I ended up in the crawlspace below sitting on the pot next to all the cobwebs in the underbelly of the house I would be one VERY angry woman. And there would be no laughing about it (where I can hear/see you), either.

Just before lunch time I had my emergency dental appointment to take care of that tooth I shattered. As a kid (teen?) I ate a Gobstopper (jawbreaker) which broke a molar back there. They put a metal cap on it. The metal cap broke loose, food got underneath, the tooth under there and next to it got a cavity in it. The metal cap was replaced with a ceramic one and the tooth next door got a filling, and that's the way it's stayed for...years. Decades. Until late Friday night when harmlessly eating something when the back half of that second tooth just sheared off. The good news was, no decay, he said the filling just weakened the tooth and it just snapped off after some time. The other good news was that no nerves or roots were exposed and he could file it down, smooth it out, put some Bondo on it (so to speak) and I could move on without a massive oral undertaking that I neither want nor care to pay for. If I lose any more of it I'll end up needing a crown, but for now it's doing okay as is.

He did tell me I'd better stop chewing on ice and hard candy though, and gave me a few stories of people with perfectly healthy teeth that were fractured or shattered by crunching on things, said that a lot of his business is fixing teeth for that reason. My Aunt Peggy warned me about the same thing years ago after several of her teeth fractured, and I've tried to modify my ice crunching behavior, but now that I'm older and have had a tooth break apart for no good reason, I might modify my behavior just a little bit more consistently. Teeth are kind of important, you know. Maybe not for everyone in every state (*cough* W. Virginia *cough*), but they are to me. ;)

Miss Judy just stopped by to purportedly measure the apron she sewed up for Kaylee, and she arrived with the black dress and a collar and the apron altogether! We put it on Kaylee and she looked like the perfect little Pilgrim girl! Too cute. I told Kaylee she could be a Pilgrim for Halloween next year because she could wear warm clothes under there and the costume was already made, and she actually thought that was a good idea too. She also said the outfit makes the dress she'd picked out to wear under the apron look "like poo". She's excited to go to school and have such Perfectly Pilgrim attire. Thanks Judy! (That is a seriously helpful skill to possess...)

To end, this is only 49 seconds long, but it'll grab you--look at her face...


Tricked On Halloween

No comments: