I got a bunch of errands caught up that afternoon, before Mom and Ernie made it up for Kaylee's concert. The concert went well. They did songs from Indiana musicians, had a slide show of photos of Indiana trivia and factoids, had things from other famous Indiana natives, and even had made up a couple songs about local landmarks/roads. It was cute and well done, as everything Mrs. E does, is. Here's what I wrote on Facebook about part of the concert:
Last night was Kaylee's show choir concert, and as always, they, and their director, did a fantastic job. The theme was "Indiana", its history, famous people, etc. At one point in the evening, they did the Red Skelton (who was born in Indiana) "Pledge of Allegiance" skit with two people up on stage, then they played the video up on two large screens over the stage. At the point in the video where he says "Now won't you say the pledge of allegiance with me", the screens went to two large American flags, and Every Single Person in the auditorium rose to their feet. Not one took a knee, not one took a seat. People weren't asked to stand, it was just a skit, we were just watching. But like one big unit the whole school, teachers, administrators, parents, students, visitors, all stood, impromptu. Afterwards people broke out in cheers and applause. It warmed my heart. I respect people's rights to express themselves, including to disrespect their country, because this is the country in which the forefathers fought to give them that right. But you don't fix anything by further dividing your nation, by spitting on, burning, stomping on your country's flag, or by refusing to show respect for the country that gives you the right to do those things. I am grateful to be in a community that understands to still respect your country while wanting it to always grow and improve--hopefully by methods that actually can accomplish something in a positive way. And frankly, if you would have sat during that display, if you want to take a knee during your National Anthem, you have that right, which I will defend, and then I also hope you exercise your right to remove yourself from my friend's list here and in real life, as I exercise my right to think very poorly of your thought process and actions. Enough.I got about 60 photos, many of which are blurry, as usual, but some that turned out, and I'll work on getting those up shortly. I enjoyed the concert, as always, and truly. Mrs. E is a genius. :)
This morning Mom and Ernie headed out, and Steve and Kaylee headed out, and I started staring at the weather. I was supposed to leave around 1 pm in order to go to Iowa for the formation clinic. At noon Steve and I went down to Tipton in order to watch three F-22s do a Missing Man Formation fly-over of Lt. McIntosh's gravesite, which was pretty cool. And then I had to decide, am I going to Iowa or not!? Nothing was clear cut. It was low VFR to high IFR along the way there. I could either have waited and been late to the ground school, scud-runned over, or gone IFR. None of those options was great, but I would have taken IFR. The plane has an AI and I could have flown it IFR, especially since it was clear in Iowa itself and I wouldn't have had to shoot an approach in it, which also would be fine if I knew for sure how to work the avionics set-up in there. ;) So I sort of planned on that. The weather there during the weekend was calling for "overcast" but you didn't know how low that was supposed to be. High enough and we're fine. Too low and we're grounded all weekend and I just flew four hours round trip to accomplish nothing. The earliest forecast I could get and the prog charts said 1000-3000' ceilings. Again, 1000' not good, 3000' good enough. So which is it? Then Saturday's forecast for Indiana said it was going to be a wash-out, and if I want to go to the Red Bull Air race, for which we spent money and are doing as a fun family and friend event, I need to be back Saturday. It felt like everything was stacking up to be difficult to maybe even not working at all. So I called it off. Canceled my hotel room, canceled my rental car, canceled the guy at the airport hosting the event. He then told me that a group from Indy was driving over that afternoon because of the weather. In other words, even if I had made it over, a whole chunk of airplanes that I'd have been flying with wouldn't have been there. Now the next forecast came out, and it's calling for 800 broken to 1900 overcast most of Friday. I don't think they'll be doing much flying with that, which makes me feel a little better about not going. Bad for their event, but good for my peace of mind.
I hadn't really posted much about Iowa ahead of time, for this exact reason, because if it happened, great, and if not, like I said, so be it. Well, so be it.












