Home of hodge-podge thoughts, daily schedules, occasional mental musings, and the little bits of nothing special that make up any family's life. This is ours...
Sunday, January 31, 2021
Snowmagedden
Friday, January 29, 2021
Eyes
Thursday, January 28, 2021
Virginia
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Production
Monday, January 25, 2021
Weary
I really do find myself somewhat perpetually weary and annoyed right now. I assume part of that is January. The other part is the back and forth, back and forth, uncertainty, and one problem after the other.
I feel pressure to get the Cheyenne currency done. We got weathered out when we were scheduled. Then I've waited to get this Bonanza to California. Except the weather won't let me do either the Cheyenne or the Bonanza. The weather here, in the middle of the country, and out west, are all crappy. So...no go there. Fine. I just put that on the back burner and wait till next week and see what I get.
In the meantime, MBros called for the first time in months, and I'm supposed to drop off D in the morning in Virginia, come right back, and go back down Wednesday and pick him up. It's freezing rain right now. It's supposed to be freezing rain and fog in the morning. He wanted to go tonight then but it's already started freezing rain tonight. Our gravel driveway is slick already. So I'll be up at 4:45 am just to tell him we can't go yet...most likely. If we do get to go, it'll be low IFR here and there both, with icing along the route, so we'll have to go pretty low.
So. I'm staring at weather locally and stressing about the Cheyenne, staring at weather out west and stressing about the Bonanza, and staring at weather locally and in Virginia and stressing about tomorrow. That's where you say "one at a time", and I quit thinking about anything but Virginia right now. But sheesh, the other is in the back of my mind. And I'm still having to stay in communication with everyone--buyer, seller, (bo) instructor (cheyenne), and passenger (340)--and keep them all updated on conditions, scheduling, etc. It's exhausting.
Our cars have been on drugs too. Kaylee's car had a simple problem with the door lock, and then she broke out a connection in the back that meant the door wouldn't shut all the way which killed her battery. So we replace all that, get it back, twice, are driving her car to her to return it to her, and the battery light starts flashing again. Some connection didn't get connected properly. So we take it back out to Mark's. My car has the "check engine" light on in it for about the 5th time. Each time it's nothing important, but come on.
Cathy left this morning after spending a couple days here with Ann. I didn't really see her, but I waved from afar. :)
I got to go to the dentist today. He had to work on the very last tooth way in the back of my mouth. So I got a needle in the very back of my jaw, and some work, and I couldn't feel most of my face for hours. He knows me so he doses me very well so I don't feel anything. My appointment was at 1, and by 4:30 I still couldn't feel parts of my face. But once that wore off, it started hurting. Reminds me, I should go take some Tylenol. So that makes me grumpy too. I had to go to the dentist and it hurt. At one point he asked me if I was okay. I didn't say anything, because his hands were both all the way down my throat, but later I realized that I'd been gripping my hands in a death grip and he could probably see that. Lol I'm fine, just GET DONE already and get me out of here.
Next I went out to Kokomo, to drop off Kaylee's car at Mark's to get the battery thing looked at, and on to the airport to update the databases on the 340 for its upcoming "I hope this works out" trip and the "Might as well while we're already here" RG. Didn't screw it up, so that's good.
Over the weekend Steve tried to cancel the XM subscription on the Saratoga that crashed's radio. He got nowhere, so I tried it, and I got nowhere. I got sent from the phone to the website, from the website to the chat helper, from the chat helper to another phone number, from that phone number to an after hours texting chat, and from there they sent me another phone number. I said "I've BEEN on three phone numbers, the website, the website chat, and now you (texting chat). Can't somebody just shut this damn thing off?" He said "So sorry, it's an aviation one and I can't do that." So this morning, with their offices back open, I girded myself and tried again. I call at like 10 am. Their recorded message said "We are experiencing longer than normal delays. If you'd like to call back Tues-Thurs during our slower hours, you can, or sit here and wait until you die." So I decided to sit and wait. It wasn't but a few seconds and a human came on line. I stuttered. I said "I want to cancel this ID." They said "Why?" I said "It's in a plane, the plane crashed, the radio doesn't exist any more." He said "I'm sorry to hear that. Just a second." Type type type "Okay, that's been removed. Would you like the credit back on your card or leave it on account?" "My card please, and I'd like to leave the account open in case we add another radio later." "No problem, your credit will be on your card in 3 days, you have a confirmation email shortly, anything else you need?" Uh, no. I hung up. THREE MINUTES AND EIGHTEEN SECONDS from the time they answered the phone until the time I hung up, and it was over and done with. I felt like I won a lottery or something. So I decided to push my luck.
Next up I've been trying to get Ann's bank onto online bill pay. Every time I try to register/enroll, it says there's been a problem, doesn't tell me what it is. So I did the "chat" online there yesterday. They said I need to talk to my bank. So today I call my bank. She says "It's a third party, and we can't see all the info, you'll need to talk to them to get set up if you're having a problem. Chelsea says it'll have to be them." I chat message the third party and get "Lisa", who says "I don't see an account in that name". Me "I'm trying to enroll in it and it won't let me." "Well, you'll have to talk to Chelsea at your local bank, we can't see anything here until the account is approved and registered locally." I say "She said they can't see or do anything and I need you." Lisa says "Chelsea may need to contact our customer support help line." Me: "Isn't that what I'm doing? Can't you help me?" "No, not until it's approved locally." So I put another call back into Chelsea and let her know what they said. How tough can this be? Let me tell you how tough this can be...
So I've had two phone call interactions, a trip to the dentist, car swapping due to maintenance problems, airplane maintenance problems (that I didn't even go into), and a bunch of aviation stuff where I'm spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. And it's sleeting right now. And I have to go to bed early and get up terribly early, like 5 am. And I've gained like 8 pounds over the last two months. And I'm grumpy so I feel like eating my feelings. Grr.
Saturday, January 23, 2021
Ladies
Thursday, January 21, 2021
Glow
Whiplash
Round Three and Four.
This was a long day. This morning, Craig had the plane ready to go by 11 am. I had enough time to get to Iowa, get fuel, and get to Nebraska before dark. That was the plan. I had everything set up. I loaded up my GDL, my bags, fired it up, run-up, everything was good. I open my IFR flight plan, I'm rolling down the runway, rotating, and I notice out of the corner of my eye that my three in the green gear down lights have gone out. That's weird. I pull the gear up, and the "In transit" light doesn't go out, ever. Hmm. I put the gear back down, and I do not get three in the green. Hmm. I pull the gear back up, and call Grissom, and cancel my flight plan for the 2nd time in two days, and they come back with "Sorry for your luck". They remembered me from yesterday's aborted flight. I climbed on up, put the autopilot on, pulled out the POH, read up on the procedures, put the gear back down, and this time I got three in the green--AND the "in transit" light. I made sure the emergency gear extension was free and down. When I pulled the throttle back I didn't get a gear warning horn, so that seemed positive. I texted Steve from the air to see if there was anything else I might be missing, and we agreed I should just come on in for a landing, which I did gingerly, ready to kill it if the gear started collapsing under me. I knew it came down, I heard it move down, but I don't know that it was locked with that "in transit" light still on. When I rolled out smoothly, I let out a puff of relief. Parked it in front of the maintenance hangar, told him what happened.
Craig and Jon put it up on jacks, and found that the gear operated just fine, it was a switch issue, as suspected but not known for sure until then. They hunted down the gremlin, fixed it, put the gear up and down 8 or 9 times. The 3 in the green came on every time, and now the "in transit" light went off when it was done transitioning. I took it around the patch once to make sure it was working. It was. Everything looked and sounded good. So I landed, and topped the plane back off with fuel, from all these aborted flights. The right tip was also down to 3/4, which it shouldn't have been, because I hadn't burned out of that one. I figured they must not have filled it up properly.
I load up all my stuff. Now I'm not going to be able to make Nebraska by dark for sure, but I can make Iowa, and I'm going to stop in Council Bluffs and spend the night there. Perfect, right? I file IFR, open it on the ground, take off on 23, and right as I am pulling my gear up, suddenly the plane is shaking and running like crap. For a second I thought the gear was grinding and having a problem, but it wasn't the gear, it was the engine. I glanced down at the engine monitor which showed Cylinder #5 was dead. *sigh*. I called up Grissom and said "I'm sorry to do this, but I'm going to have to cancel IFR again." He asked if I wanted to keep it on standby for later, and I said "No, I'm done for today." The plane is running like crap, shaking, backfiring, stumbling, and now the temps are climbing rapidly on the #5 cylinder. I keep it tight in the pattern, and as I turn base, I look out the right wing behind me for traffic, and I see fuel *pouring* out of the right tip tank. Streaming, high rate of flow. The cap was on and proper. Well then. I turn final, land, park it in front of the maintenance hangar, chock it, unload all my stuff, leave a text for Craig, and march back to my own hangar, where I spend an hour telling everyone what happened, detailing it, contacting Stephanie and the owner and the mechanic and the sales guy and some friends who were watching me on flightaware and freaked out when it said I dropped altitude and airspeed in a hurry.
Craig informs me it was a plugged fuel injector nozzle on the #5, which is now cleaned up, and that he's fixed the sealing issue on the right tip tank. That explained two things. 1) Why I got so much water on our first sump of the right tip tank, and 2) Why it was down to 3/4 tank when I hadn't used any fuel out of that tank. That had to have happened on the other flights too, but I was too focused on everything else going wrong on every other flight right after I took off that I didn't happen to turn my head far enough back and to the right to see the fuel coming out of the tip behind me.
He says it'll be ready tomorrow, most likely. I told the owner that I'm busy through this weekend and would have to revisit this next week. Kaylee's birthday is Saturday and we are doing a dinner. Weather is moving into California on Friday. I'll be rushed. I have students. I've spent a week of my life focused on this with my suitcase always ready to go. I'm tired, annoyed, and done for a few days.
I am guessing that this plane sat for too long. The last time it was on a known IFR flight was 2018. These planes are sold to places like this when the owner runs too low on money to fly them around...or maintain them, OR, when the owner gets older and doesn't fly enough so they sit for a long time. This one seems to have been maintained well, lots of expensive add-ons and such. So I'm betting it sat. And planes don't like to sit. Everything that has glitched has been something common for sitting. Seals, lights, contacts, etc. None of them have been life-threatening, none of them have been accident-causing, but you don't know that at the time, until you get down and it gets looked over. The AI would only have been a problem at night or IFR. The alternator system was working fine--it was a light switch/glitch. The gear was working fine, it was a light/switch glitch. The engine stumbling wasn't a failing, seizing engine, it was a blocked fuel nozzle, which has happened to me in the 340 before too. Gets your attention but it's fine. The fuel streaming out costs money, but it was a 15 gallon tip, the engine isn't running off of it, it was fine. It was all fine. But every time I took off, a new failure happened, and it's not exactly relaxing. I guess it's good for making sure you're current on your emergency procedures. (Eyeroll emoji).
The most exhausting part of all this is the whiplash. I'm going! I'm not going. Oh, it's fixed, I'm going. Wait, something else is wrong, I'm definitely not going. Oh, it was nothing, I'm going. Over. And over. And over. And now it's late so I can't make this fuel stop and now I have to pre-plan for tomorrow's winds and now I have to do this place instead and I have to move the fuel stops, and now I'm going to be early tomorrow so I'll have time to do this, and now I'm not going at all. Good grief. I'm flexible and I'm used to uncertainty in aviation life, but this is R I D I C U L O U S.
One thing I felt pretty good about, even though I was pretty annoyed by all of this. It all happened at home. I'm here, on my couch, in comfy pants, eating lunch with friends, in between all of these happenings, not stuck at an airport in Nowhere Wyoming, with no mechanic, one clean set of clothes, and hoping to get a hotel room. And this is a lot of things to have happen, all right around takeoff. Think about it.
1) Get to the ramp, AI quits, taxi back.
2) Take off, level off, alternator out light kicks on, 2 miles from the airport, troubleshoot come back.
3) Take off, gear up, gear lights glitch. Wander around a minute, troubleshoot, come back.
4) Take off, gear up, engine sounds and feels bad. Swing around the pattern, spot fuel leak, come back.
Any of those could have happened anywhere at any time, over the mountains, in the middle of nowhere, anywhere. I could have been taking off out of Nowhere, Nevada and had it start running like crap as I am looking at a mountain. But they happened here, and now. And for that, I'll thank the Good Lord and whatever number of guardian angels have been assigned to me that I've worn out by now. ;)
So, now I'm going to bed. And I'm not going to California tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Will look at weather then and see. For now, signing off and going to sleep in comfort and care.
By the way. When Bill Clinton was inaugurated the first time, I was on my initial CFI checkride. Today was another inauguration. Another long, tiring, stressful day, but I didn't get a "congratulations" out of it afterwards this time. lol
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Tuesday, Round Two
Man, what a cluster.
I woke up at 6 am, because, why not. ;) I was supposed to hear about the plane by 9 am. I hadn't, so I took a shower, got ready, and headed out to the airport. On the way there, I heard that the plane wasn't ready, they'd had to order a part, and it wasn't even in yet. There went my idea of getting out in the morning. I ate lunch with Steve, and at lunch Craig (mechanic) said the plane would be ready in 45 minutes. At this point, I could get past my first original fuel stop but not get all the way to my second, without being in the dark in the mountains for a couple hours. So I reconfigured, and found another place to stop, in Nebraska, where I could at dark if I left by 2:30 pm. I called my first fuel stop, because I'd be arriving right when they closed. Made sure I could get in and get fuel and use a restroom even if they were closed. Yes. Cool. Called my second fuel stop, because I'd be arriving right as they were closing. They agreed to stay a little later if I was late. They let me know about a shuttle to a nearby hotel. There were restaurants within walking distance. I figured all that out.
I get to the airport, and the plane is mostly ready. I sump the tanks again, and they're fine. I can't find the keys. Texted and finally got them. I check the oil and it's at 8 quarts. I bump it up to 10 because, long trip. There was no oil in the plane so I stole 4 quarts from Gumby. He'd taken his ADS-B out of the plane for some reason, so I tried to go get one from the 340 and it was all locked up and now I was running late. At this point I was going to get there after the second place closed, but I could call when I got to the first place and ask them to wait. I launch, pick up my IFR in the air so I could get going. Get leveled off at 4000'. And the alternator out light comes on. I check the amps, and they're showing a slight charge, so it seems to be working. Recycled it. No go. Turned on the standby alternator. No go. Turned off the main and only had the standby on. No go. The light that was supposed to come on when only the standby alternators is on, did not come on. I told Grissom I was canceling IFR and returning home, turned around and re-landed.
Attempt #1, got to the run-up area before having to abort because of the failed AI. Attempt #2, got leveled off at 4000' before having to abort because of potential failed alternator. The mechanic says the alternator is working and something is wrong with the light. He couldn't find anything this afternoon, and is going to try to troubleshoot tomorrow morning a little more. If he can't find it, I'm going to leave anyway. He says the alternator is working, and I have an amp meter, and as long as it shows it's charging, I'll know it's still working. I'm going to stick with daytime only, and basically VMC.
But now when I got home tonight, I had to call back my second fuel stop and tell them I wasn't coming after all. I am trying to re-plan for tomorrow. If I can get out of her in the morning, my first fuel stop is no problem. My second is. If I go in there, I'm going to have 35 knot wind gusts. There are three 7500' tall mountains within 3 miles of the airport on three sides. That's a lot. If I go on to the next good fuel stop instead, I'm at 4 hours and 40 minutes of flight time, stretching my fuel. I'll still have an hour reserve. I'll only have 18 knot winds and the mountains won't bother me there. But that's a really long flight leg, and I'll be reaching dark. I have super strong winds aloft tomorrow. The nastiness in the air that was in California has moved east to meet me. But it'll be nice in California. So I'm going to have to play tomorrow by ear. What time can I get out of Kokomo. Will everything stay running. My first fuel stop should be uneventful. And then it gets more interesting. Which airport will I be able to end up at, can I get a hotel room, because I can't do it ahead of time, etc. Timing is everything, and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully Attempt #3 will be the charm.
And people think big trips are an adventure. :p


















































