
(If you are humming a ballad right now, you probably remember the early 90s.)
This is the view out of my window today. You would think it was a grayscale photo, but no, it's just a grayscale world. See what I mean about the sky looking like dirty wet concrete?
I have to admit, this wasn't a very productive day for me. I have things I need to do, particularly if I want to stay ahead of the game like I have been, but things kept interfering. Even something simple that just required activation via an ATM brought about an unexpected visit to a bank only to find that they sent me the right info but for the wrong account, and there's nothing they can do about it today, and I needed it for tomorrow. So an hour's worth of trying to finish up something...down the drain. That's kind of been the whole day, really. Not bad or anything, just not very productive.
Here's a story for you:
"Recently a 98 year-old lady named Irena Sendler died. During WWII Irena got permission to work in the Warsaw Ghetto as a Plumbing/Sewer specialist. She had an 'ulterior motive'. She as a German knew what the Nazis were doing to the Jews. So Irena smuggled infants out in the bottom of the tool box she carried, and she carried in the back of her truck a burlap sack to hold the larger kids. She also had a dog in the back that she trained to bark when the Nazi soldiers let her in and out of the ghetto. The soldiers of course wanted nothing to do with the dog, and the barking covered the kids/infants noises. During her time of doing this, she managed to smuggle out and save 2,500 kids/infants. She was caught, and the Nazis broke both her legs and arms and beat her severely. Irena kept a record of the names of all the children she smuggled out, and kept the names and locations in a glass jar buried under a tree in her back yard. After the war, she tried to locate any parents that may have survived, and reunite the family. Most had been gassed. The children she helped got placed into foster family homes, or adopted.
In 2007 Irena was up for the Nobel Peace Prize. She was not selected. Al Gore won, for a slide show on Global Warming.
Although nominees are supposed to be secret for 50 years, several organizations have protested to the Nobel committee for her continuing to be overlooked."
I can see why it's so much better to choose a politically correct hot topic like Global Warming than a politically incorrect topic like life-saving heroism during Nazi aggression for a world-wide "Peace Prize". Wouldn't want to offend Germany by bringing that up. So let's ignore real people for whom the Nobel Peace Prize should and used to exist and instead make sure people are rewarded like Gore (for that hard-core work on global warming), Obama (who had done nothing but get elected at the time of nominations) and Yasser Arafat (for promising to just try to not have people blown up for a little while there). For heaven's sake...
Well, Kaylee's day was uneventful. She said they lost their second recess because everybody was cranky and not listening. Her friends liked her hair, and she's headed off to dance class shortly here. Steve is meeting with a couple of new folks tonight and got some flights in this morning, which is good. And I'm going to be doing some billing/information entering on the computer while I watch NCIS.
Until tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment