Friday, October 02, 2009

My Girl

Kaylee and I had a nice afternoon/evening. When she got home from school, instead of a snack and a tv show, she just cuddled up with me and we talked, for a long time. Out of the blue, she paused and said "You know what Mommy, I don't remember you ever getting really super mad at me. You're a good Mommy." I said "Really? You don't remember any time I ever got really upset at you?" She thought about it for awhile and said "No, I just remember you saying 'Kaaaaaaayleeeee'!" Just because she doesn't remember me getting "super mad" at her doesn't mean she never made me super mad, but it has been a really long time since she indiscriminately pushed buttons to that point. She's a smart girl, after all. ;) She's actually an interesting combination of logic and emotion. She'll lash out emotionally, but if you speak to her clearly, explain situations, talk through the logic on it, she'll follow the logic over the emotion a good portion of the time, while still being able to express how she feels emotionally about it all. That's a pretty good skill to have, frankly.

On the way home from school, she put these funky teeth in that she'd gotten from the "treasure chest" for being good this week. I laughed and said "you know, people looking in the window will stare and think something is wrong with your teeth", and she replied back without even a thought, in a bored voice, "What do I care what they think?" Yep! I did talk a little bit about things where the majority is right and it's okay to listen and better ourselves, and times when we are who we are and it IS the right thing to not care what anyone thinks about it. She seems to have a good balance with that for a kiddo. :)

Later this evening, Steve was hanging out with a friend, so Kaylee stayed cuddled on my lap and had my iTunes pulled up on my laptop and was randomly selecting songs she wanted to listen to. She likes a lot of the same kinds of music I do so far, except she can't stand some classical music or anything that she calls "sad". She likes her music to be majestic or peppy or happy, and if a slow song comes on she wrinkles up her nose and says "Change it! It's depressing me!" She made me laugh though when she chose "Footloose" and started dancing around the living room while listening to it. She says she wants that one on her iPod. I'm feeling a little generational circle of life thing here, watching my daughter dance joyfully around to songs that I used to enjoy as a kid/teen too, only mine were on a big tape player with headphones strapped to my waist. :)

Tonight I'm going to wake her up and bring her out to the living room and she and I will do a little camp-out thing together. Usually I let her and her daddy do that together on a weekend night, but she wanted to do it with me this time, so we will. My flight for tomorrow cancelled on me, so I don't have to worry about being overly functional very early. It'll be a perfect way to spend a cold, gray, windy, rainy night/morning. She won't want to cuddle forever, so I'll take it while I've got it. ;)

I very much enjoy her.

No comments: