Sunday, July 26, 2026

Home

Thursday night we did go to Wendt's, and had a nice dinner with our group. Morgan and I left there while everyone else was finishing up, and I went to the Gunfighter Burger Burn. When we walked in, it had been going for a couple hours already, and I suddenly felt a little awkward because I didn't see anyone to immediately go up and talk to. I was regretting going, no tables had open chairs, and then I saw someone waving us over. It was Laurel, the wife of Pete, one of the Gunfighter pilots. She waved us over and had us come sit with her and her friends for awhile, and that broke the ice. Soon after I talked to Mark N. from Fifi/Doc, with 1000 hrs of B-29 time, and several others. Made the rounds, was only there about an hour and a half, and then we headed back out. And it was good to be seen. I really appreciated Laurel's kindness in calling us over, right before I fought the urge to turn around and walk back to my car...

Friday I didn't do much. I sat at the campsite, rested my knee from all the walking the day before, ran a few people around on the golf cart, went to Ardy & Eds for lunch, and read a book most of the day. We then had Steak Night at our campsite. 35 people came out and joined us. Ribeyes, corn on the cob, asparagus, cantaloupe, watermelon, salad, two pies, Chuck's birthday cake, wine, beer, bourbon, all sorts of good things. We had a good time, the weather was perfect.

Saturday I took the golf cart in to get cheese curd tacos with Morgan. I now had hit most of the important Oshkosh things. ;) Saturday evening, Morgan, Cameron and I went with Joe Ford and another guy to go down to Joe's Aerostar right on the show line in the grass north of show center. We were dropped off at a gate and then had a long walk to the airplane, where we set up chairs to watch the Saturday night show right up front. It was much better there than way down at Jordan's plane. We could actually see the lasers and everything so much better. It was great, and I really enjoyed it. The ending, they did a 250th Celebration, and they had lasers, fireworks, airplanes, drones, and bombs all at the same time. Gotta love that, man. ;)

The problem was leaving. We were way up there, and we had to walk fairly quickly, in a herd, and we had to walk very far. And I have this knee problem. I had worn my brace, and I did my best. I kept up. I was limping badly by the time we got far enough in the golf cart could take us the last 15 blocks. It's a little swollen and stiff today, but I don't think I did anything permanent to it. I took an anti-inflammatory when I got home and am being as careful as I can now. But these are not experiences you get all the time. I'm not going to just sit back at the trailer all week and not experience anything.

Sunday morning (today) we got up early and started packing up. It was hot and muggy again, and it took all morning from about 6 am until 11 am to get the big tent taken down, the picnic tables, the food, the fake grass, the generators and golf carts and stove and ALL of it. And then I had to get our trailer ready. Fridge, bedding, clothes, bathroom stuff, all the things that spread out and accumulate when you live somewhere for a week. 

This whole week has been what I'll only call DustKosh. It was a dust storm. No rain, which is unusual, so the roads were completely dry, and every time the wind blew or a car or bike rode by, a huge dust ball would blow over you. Dust was everywhere. In your hair and teeth and eyes, on your iPad and phone cases, in your shoes, in your clothes, everywhere. You'd take a shower and come out and be coated in dust. It was gross, man. Better than SloshKosh with the mud, but still a real pain. 

Steve, Morgan and I loaded up the Aerostar at Fond du Lac, and I flew us home in bad visibility and lowish clouds, but it's too much effort to get out of there IFR.

We landed at Kokomo fine, and then had to pull out BOB. See, a guy named Dave came down to run BOB for us while we were gone after the new engine was put on. But Dave couldn't get BOB started. They thought something was wrong with the engine driven fuel pump. I kind of didn't believe them and wondered if it was operator error. So they ordered a fuel pump just in case, and I said I'd run BOB when we got home today so we'd know for sure. BOB fired right up, first try for me. So yes, it was indeed operator error, and the new engine ran just great, no visible leaks. 

From there I could not wait to get home. We ran through Wendy's since it was 3 pm and we hadn't eaten all day yet, and then as soon as I got home I started washing *everything*.  Every bit of clothing I had in my bags whether I'd worn them or not. Even clean clothes weren't clean, they had dust and dirt and smelled musty and like campground. I finished that up around 10 pm, last load. Even washed my pillow, not just my pillowcase. Got all Steve's stuff done too. 

While my first load was washing, I hopped in the shower and I took a long, hard soak. Washed my hair twice, conditioned it with the heavy duty "mask", what little I had left in there, and it still feels a little like straw. This week was hell on my hair. lol I'm out of deep conditioner so I will be getting more asap. I stayed in the shower a good long time, and I liked it. It's good to be gone, and it's good to be home.

Kaylee came over for awhile with Molly and we chatted for a bit before she left to go to bed early since she has to leave her house at 6 am. I have to get up at 6 am for a trip tomorrow in questionable weather. We'll see what happens. Doesn't look great at the moment. But at least I have good clean clothes. ;)

I socialized. I walked. I saw things. I did things. I enjoyed it. Glad I went. And if life permits I'd like to fly into Oshkosh next year with the T-6. Third time's the charm? Something like that.


The next three pics are what happen when you leave your phone unattended

Cameron

Chuck


Me on my "mobility scooter" *sigh*

Almost tipping over

I'm not ready for this yet

Lake Michigan in the Aerostar



Where we hid after the first night airshow. HOT FOOD, COLD BEER


Our Campsite on Friday Steak night




Our chefs. Steve Tummers





Chuck


Chuck's birthday




Zazas

Morgan, Cameron, Texas Josh and wife

Glenn Olsen and Chuck

Opie

Sleeping Zazas




Just a view out a golf cart driving down Camping road

View of the crowd line in part Sat night



Lasers and smoke rings

I like fireballs

Drones and lasers and fireworks



"America 250" but it's hard to read past the stuff


American Flag

Flag, lasers, fire





"Jets"


Oshkosh

Our home street this week

On our way home

No comments: