Wednesday, April 08, 2026

Blown Around

Didn't sleep super well last night, or not long enough I should say, so I've been tired today. The 5 am alarm is never my favorite. Fortunately, for my trip tomorrow I don't leave the house until 2 pm, so I can sleep in (if I can), and do lunch, and still get paid for the day. ;)

It was a tiring set of flights, about 6 hours in the air total, and I didn't talk to a single person. I went VFR all day long, because it was VFR and I didn't feel like talking to anyone. So that meant I went into an uncontrolled airport about a mile off the end of Chicago O'Hare Airport without talking to Chicago, and I went all the way out to Minnesota without talking to a soul. I had to be very careful with all the airspace in Chicago, and dodge things, and make sure I wasn't busting anything all the way in and out. The winds were bad, the turbulence was bad, and we got knocked around the whole time. That also made me rather tired. I was the only one I saw flying at the Chicago airport both times I was there, with the short-ish runway that was a direct crosswind. But there were a couple of flight school airports flying in Minnesota, and the winds were 30-34 knots. I was impressed to see a C-172 taxi out. Good for them!

When I got to MN, I took their courtesy car and went into town to eat, and it was a 40 minute round-trip drive just to get to ANY restaurant. Mantako, MN is literally in the middle of nowhere. lol I get in there and they give me this little bitty cup of coffee like 2" across and as small as my palm. And I have small hands. Since I hadn't had any coffee yet today, I thought that was particularly mean, personally. Like you're doing little shots of coffee... I have BIG mugs at home. Thank you.

Met my walking 'goal' for the day anyway, out in MN in the wind. My left arm did seem to like being pushed, as now I have more range of motion than I did before. That's good. I'll keep doing it. I'm glad to know it's probably (?) hopefully (?) not a permanent tear or damage thing but just needed some painful exercises to make it actually get better.

"Small Arms Firing within an area defined as...from the surface to 5000' Daily"?? What?!

Sunrise Chicago

My weenie cup of coffee

Just a little traffic in Chicago?

Winds at home weren't even as bad as winds everywhere else. lol

No comments: