Sunday, March 29, 2026

Weekend

I write this as Steve and Kaylee are up at Salamonie Reservoir doing a 10 mile hike, their first hike since winter dug in. It's a beautiful sunny day, with temps in the 60s, and it's the perfect day to do that. It's also a perfect day for me to have the house to myself for several hours!

The six minute V02 max tests are something simple that I can so far make myself do by saying "it's just six minutes". Today's test I went about as hard as I could, and I scored a 25. That bumps me up to "below average". Small wins. Who knew I'd be pleased to be below average at anything, eh? ;)  I'm going to keep doing these six minute tests until I'm at least at average, better if I can get it, and then I'll increase the time and distance. I'm not ever looking to be a marathoner or anything, just...better. And maybe if I want to go on a hike with Steve and Kaylee, I won't die out there or drag them down. Not that hiking is my thing. But I also don't want to not be capable of it. I want to choose to not want to go, not not be able to go. Spite. ;) 

Just saw a post that says "I may not be a 10 at the beach, but I'm a strong 8 at Walmart" and that made me laugh. Yeah!

Yesterday Steve and I drove down to the Red Bridge Bistro in Cicero, and met up with Greg and his wife Maurie for dinner and an evening out there. For an appetizer we had fried deviled eggs which was new, and surprisingly good! It was nice to get out like adults with other people, too.

Afterwards we watched the 2nd half of the Elite 8 Purdue basketball championship game, which was the wrong half to watch. They were leading by 7 at the half, and the second half they went what analysts called "into the blender". I quit watching when they went down by 9, and they lost by like 14. They were doing so great that first half. *sigh* 

You can feel the momentum shift. There's a movie called "The Replacements" that is pretty cheesy and has Keanu Reeves in it, and yet I actually like it. I find it funny and predictable and 'feel good' easy. But a couple things stuck with me out of it, and one of them was when the coach was asking them what their biggest fears were. People were like "spiders" and all that stuff. And then Keanu said "Quicksand", and everyone laughed at him, like quicksand is a real problem. And he said "You think everything is going fine. And then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder your fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move. You can't breathe...because you're in over your head. Like quicksand." Purdue hit quicksand last night. And quicksand goes beyond sports and well into life. There's a momentum in just about anything. One way or another. 

No comments: