Sunday, April 27, 2025

S. Carolina

Charleston, to be exact. It’s a great day to be able to do it, because I was able to sleep in, make eggs for breakfast, take my time, do a load of laundry, eat some yogurt for lunch, and head out around 1:30 pm. It’s a beautiful sunny day and an easy 2 hour flight and I’m back in business.

Except we get in the plane in Frankfort and the right side avionics won’t come up. Even after we reboot them a couple times and pull the circuit breakers a couple times and wait on them a bit. No “Magic Avionics” means no autopilot, as it’s tied to the right side there. Ethan was in the pilot’s seat, and he had us switch, because this was going to be a 100% hand flown flight at 27,000’. About halfway there he said “You’re doing a better job keeping it than the autopilot does”  which I appreciated. :) Not super relaxing, and higher risk for errors especially if it gets busy or weather, but for today’s flight it was okay. The biggest problem is if you look at my schedule, this whole week, every day, I’ve got a pretty big trip, and I do not want to have to hand fly all of that. Just because we used to do all our trips without autopilots doesn’t mean I want to have to any more, and all of those were in small slow pistons or piston twins, not turboprops up in the flight levels. :p

I got to Charleston and landed, dropped them off, and when it was time to leave, the avionics still didn’t come up, so I started taxiing out to leave. On the way, I reached over and pounded on the screens with my fist. Violence sometimes is the answer, and it was this time. They came up, and I’m typing this at 24,000’ on autopilot on my way home. Monitoring closely of course. I wish I knew for sure it would work tomorrow for the 7-8 hours to Colorado and back more than this nice VFR sunny easy trip from S Carolina…

I’m typing this from 24,000’ because we have Starlink internet on board and it works like a charm, by the way. ;)  That’ll save me from having to wait until I get home at 8-9-10-11 pm some nights and trying to write up something. I can do a draft here anytime and post it whenever it works/I feel like it.

Kaylee went to Carmel and had fun with her friends for an evening, which is great. Molly has bloody poo and infection around her bum so Kaylee’s trying to get her into the vet Tuesday if they’ll do it. She’s scared that it’s an infected anal gland and that if it ruptures Molly could get super sick or die. Molly is still super sweet, happy, energetic, bright eyed and seems okay, but we’re hoping to get her in soon.

Steve spent today working on outside stuff in the nice weather. Mowing the lawn, which grew up like crazy in a short time frame thanks to the rain, worked on some stuff in Kaylee’s house, replacing fresheners around the house, I think bug spray or weed killer and just a bunch of homeowner things that need kept up on.

And me, I’ll be landing in 20 minutes and home in an hour and a half. I can’t think of anything else interesting any of us will be doing tonight, so I’ll send it. ;)

Sunny pretty day at 24,000’

You can’t really tell that’s Charleston but it is



No comments: