Wednesday, January 10, 2024

YOU GUYS

YOU GUYS

I just got a phone call from Jordan B, and he asked me about becoming a CAF T-6 check pilot. I said I already am one, have been for several years now, and he said he thought so. He and Lumpy had been talking about other things and that came up, and Lumpy doesn't think I am one, so he was verifying that I am.  He says he brings me up any time that particular Mustang and the 'next' pilot to fly it comes up in conversation, trying to keep me in the game.  I can't say how much I appreciate that, because I've had to take the last year basically 'off' to work and get established, and out of sight is out of mind on the "what have you done for me lately" warbird world, or most worlds I suppose.  So he said L is probably going to call me to talk about my T-6 experience and background. 

It was like a shot of adrenaline. I hadn't been forgotten, I hadn't lost too much ground, I'm still in the game, it's still a possibility. 

I'm not the only one in the game. I have some things for me and some things against me. My palms are sweating right now thinking about it, it makes me nervous. And excited.  And Nervous.  Mostly about performing poorly when I need to perform the best.  I have botched flights before and it's mostly a head game, but telling yourself not to goof yourself up is like telling yourself to relax during childbirth while it's hurting the worst. Kinda tough to do.  I've also nailed more flights than I've botched, so that's good.  :D

I've flown 9 different models of T-6, 16 different T-6s, for coming up on 900 hours, signed off about 40 people in them, I do have experience, and I feel good about the instruction I give, but I always feel like with that much experience I should be...perfect, I suppose, at flying them myself.  And I'm not.  But I always keep trying to be...

Anyway, that was my jolt for the day.

I also got my 2nd Class Medical renewed successfully today, so that was good.  Finished cleaning up my inbox and other smaller organizational tasks that needed done.  That always feels good.  Tomorrow I may hopefully be going to Buffalo to pick up the Conquest before the crap weather moves in. Friday I have a trip but I already warned him that it may not be safely doable. Right now I'd say almost definitely not, but we'll wait and see how it goes.

Onward.

No comments: