Thursday, May 11, 2023

Mississippi

D and I headed for Meridian, Mississippi today at 6:30 am.  The sun was barely up as we took the runway to depart. On the way there, we were routed around for military airspace, and then we had to deviate thanks to storms, too.  We picked up quite a bit of ice, and had to pop the boots twice.  The clouds rolled in and went to 700' overcast, so we had to shoot the ILS in. It's a high ILS that only goes down to 400', so that was a good solid approach.

Meridian has a really nice FBO. I've been there several times, and I enjoy it. They have a bunch of free food. Apples and bananas, a waffle maker with cinnamon malt waffle mix, butter, nutella and syrup, hot dogs and buns with chili and/or cheese toppings.  Sweet, unsweet tea, or lemonade with that soft little ice cube machine. Soft serve ice cream with fudge, caramel, peanut butter pieces, nuts, m&ms and brownie chunks.  All free.  And a vending machine if you want a coke or a candy bar.  And a bunch of courtesy cars in case you want to go into town. They don't have a ramp or a landing fee there, no minimum fuel purchase.  So I bought 143 gallons there.  Meanwhile a jet guy came in with people, ate stuff, hung out, and then when he asked how much fuel to waive the ramp fee and they said no ramp fee, he said "oh, then I guess I won't get fuel".  You gotta support the good places, man.  C'mon, don't be a cheapskate pilot leech...

It was absolutely freezing in there though.  I know how it is down south with their air conditioning, so I brought along a light jacket and I wore it the whole time I was in there. It was 86 degrees and muggy outside, but in there it was like a freezer.

We were supposed to have a second stop in Mississippi, but a line of thunderstorms blew up big time, up to 55,000' tops, hail, even tornado warnings, and it was headed first for our next stop, then Meridian next.  I waited as long as possible, then texted him that I needed to either get a hangar for the plane for the unforeseeable future, or we get out of there.  We got out of there.  Had to go around some more weather and airspace on the way home, and made it back by 5:30 pm.  Over 6 hours of flight time, some ground time, an early morning, and a decent pay day.  

Tomorrow I go down to Florida. Another, longer day, with probable weather and airspace issues, picking up someone in Crystal River, Florida, turning around and coming home. Probably an 8 hour flight day.  Up early again. I'd better do some jumping jacks so I don't throw a blood clot with all this sitting!


No comments: