Steve had overbooked himself. He had a student at 9 am for a cross country, was supposed to meet a guy to do the wing attachment angle inspection on the T-6 at 10 am, and was going to help us pull the Cheyenne out at 9 am because it rained then froze and then snowed a little and was a bit slick. But he got lucky, because the weather didn't let his 9 am student go, and the inspection guy showed up early, so I let him in at 8:30, and I was able to get the Cheyenne out just fine. So Steve stayed there and helped the guy with the inspection, while Nathan, Kevin, his wife, daughter, and son-in-law hopped in with me and we went down to Kissimmee, FL. It was quiet, uneventful, easy. When we got down there, I took off my sweatshirt because it was 80°, and Nathan and I grabbed a car and went into town to a little place downtown called "Shrimp & Fries Bistro" which doesn't sound great, but was. They have very fresh fish, oysters, clams, all of the good stuff. So we split a bowl of shrimp bisque that was quite good, and then had grilled grouper sandwiches and coleslaw that was also amazing. Everything was good, from the bun, to the light sauce they put with it, to the fish itself, to the obviously freshly made slaw, and I don't even care about slaw that much. They had key lime pie that he took home, and we agree that we'll have to go back there and try some of their other foods. They had octopus, crab, steamers, just...lots of good stuff. So, now I have a place to go back to, less than 10 minutes from the airport, with a nice environment and good food.
It is grey and gloomy in Indiana, a high of 21° here, and just the pure definition of February. I'm glad I was able to soak in a little sun today, even if it didn't last long enough. I didn't put my sweatshirt back on until we were on the ground in Kokomo, and it was time to concede. All I can think about is...March is only a few weeks away, and it'll START getting better then. And we've gained an hour of daylight since Dec. 21st.
When I went next door tonight at 7:30, Ann was a little lost. She asked me who was coming over to stay with her, and then asked how she was supposed to get home. I told her she was home, and nobody comes over to stay at night. She said she doesn't think that seems right, that she's old now and it wasn't supposed to be like this. I told her Steve and I are next door, which seemed like news to her, but she was glad to hear it. During the day she's mostly all right, but at night...at night the darkness comes in multiple forms. I turned off her lights and told her to get some sleep and we'd be back over in the morning with breakfast... hard.
Me & Nathan with our sandwiches
Seriously, it was delicious. And yes I picked all the onions off.
Across the street, another little downtown bistro
Me while Nathan rested
A series of photos of descending into the bleh
Going
Going
Gone
Bleh.
No comments:
Post a Comment