After her hair appointment, I had one of my own. I had highlights put in that sort of cover up the grey right around my face. I sent Steve a photo of me with foil sheets around my head, wearing a mask because it's required there, and I looked ridiculous. He promptly showed it to the guys at lunch, which violated a formerly unspoken but assumed known spousal agreement. I didn't need anybody else to see that! I won't be sending him any more embarrassing hair photos. ;)
While I was there, Kaylee texted me that she is trying to move out of one dorm, and needs to move into her summer session dorm room, but she has so much stuff, she's overwhelmed and she could use some help. Well, it's raining and unpleasant and the rest of my day is free, so I offered to go over and help her. That helped Steve out too, as he had plenty of work to do of his own. This was a much larger project than I anticipated.
When I arrived, Kaylee had a ping pong table in the lobby filled with her stuff, and around it, and that wasn't all of it. Suitcases, boxes, clothes, bedding, room decorations. There was still a bunch of stuff left up in her room. Her room was on the 3rd floor, so we hiked up and down three flights of stairs 6 or 7 times at least. It was mostly the big stuff left. Some boxes, a bag full of heavy books, two shelving units, coffee maker and printer, and of course her refrigerator. It's not a mini mini fridge, it's a mid-size model with freezer and all. I'm staring at the size of it, and she says "Hey, Emily took hers down 3 flights of stairs by herself, and it's the exact same model. You're not going to let a 20 year old do something and say that you can't do it too!" I rolled my eyes at her, and told her that I know she's playing me, and she said "Yeah, but still, you want to do it, because...spite." Which is true, and she knows me. I said "You're 20, why don't YOU do it?" She said "Yeah, well, I'm weak. You're strong." Also a ploy, she's not weak, she just didn't want to do it. I didn't actually know if I could get that refrigerator down three flights of stairs, but after I hefted it up off the floor, and arranged it in my arms a little better, I knew I had it. Then I just tried to not trip over my own feet while carrying this awkward heavy rectangle and break my neck and the fridge. I got it down to the lobby, then got it into the Explorer, and then we finished loading up the Explorer with things she was keeping for summer session and loaded up the Jeep with stuff she wanted me to bring back home that she wouldn't need for the one month she was in class. It was a LOT of hauling stuff. It was hot in the dorm, no air, and I actually had to sit down after the fridge thing and catch my breath and not have my heart rate pounding quite so hard. I could tell if I kept going, like I normally would, I would end up wheezing and sucking air, so I did the mature thing and waited a couple minutes. Then we got to her new dorm, and had to schlepp all her stuff into her new room. This one was on the first floor (thank the Lord) but it was at the very end of the hall, as far away as possible from the entrance. We transferred everything to her new room, and after all that I was one big sweaty mess. She was impressed with my ability to honk around her fridge and stuff, so I did win some points. I want to wait until she's 49 and then see if SHE can still heft a fridge down three flights of stairs, out to a car, lift it into a vehicle by hand, lift it back out, and heft it to a room. ;)
I left her there then, to unpack and get her stuff together in her room, and I took my sweaty, overheated self to Walgreens. When I got out of the car, my legs were wobbly and stiff, and I was suddenly sore. I I picked up some lotion and milk and some other things, and as I had them in my hands, and arms, I was having trouble lifting them up, gripping them tightly. I texted Kaylee "You BROKE me!" She laughed at me. When I got home, I took a couple Advil though, and as of now I'm fine again. We'll see when that wears off, but hey, for now I'm good. I got some good exercise in and everything today. ;)
My fitbit broke though at some point. The green sensors are glowing, but the face isn't showing any data. I use that thing a lot, track sleep, etc. I might have to get another one if this is busted for good. But it's lasted me for years, of 24 hour (except in the shower) use, so...I can't blame it.
Steve worked on our sink tonight, and we think he got it fixed. We put caustic chemicals down there, we tried the plunger trick, we tried about everything. He had a snake, 25', and thought it got it once, but didn't. Second time seems to have been the charm. I'm about to run the dishwasher and find out for sure. Wish us luck. We haven't had a sink for 4 days.
I can start my CFI renewal now, which is due in July, so I've started that process. It's always a lot better to get it done early rather than wait until we are butt-kicking busy in July, Oshkosh month, etc. So it's one thing I always do early, and don't procrastinate on. Shocking, I know.
When the nurse was giving Ann the memory test, I took it with her. I learned something I already knew. When I felt the pressure of a test, even a test that wasn't for me, I had trouble concentrating and answering some of the questions. I'd feel that same fear that I get during an oral exam for a flight test when they ask me questions. I'm so worried about not knowing the answer that I can't think, or process properly. I can feel it when my wheels are spinning uselessly. The questions started off easy--what day is it, what year is it, what state do you live in, and then when they went to math, it was an easy math problem but it was full of words to try to confuse you, and I was trying so hard to remember every word they said that I almost missed how easy the actual math problem was. I really wish I knew how to overcome that. It doesn't help me on oral tests. I can take a written test and get a 100%. I can fly the plane and perform any maneuver, including emergencies or anything else, and nail it. But sit there and stare at me and ask me a question that I have to formulate a response to, and I'm just in trouble, and I can sound like a fool. I Hate That. *sigh*
Tomorrow is a PT-26 day. I'm training Nick in the morning, and then doing Dennis's annual currency flight when Nick is done. It'll probably be a little windy later in the day, again, but that's okay. Then Cheyenne currency Thursday or Friday, whichever weather day allows, PLEASE.
Now, off to see if I can fix my FitBit or have to replace it, and off to maybe do a section of my CFI renewal too.
No comments:
Post a Comment