I went to a hair appointment instead of going on a potentially sketchy paying flight today. Got some curl back at the top of my head where it had all grown out and I had flat head syndrome. This means I will have overly curly hair for a little while, but it's December/January, so by the time Spring gets here and I'm out and about and getting pictures taken in airplanes, it'll probably be too flat again. :D
Afterwards, I met up with Steve and Ann, who had come from her foot doctor appointment, and we went to Grindstone's for lunch. She enjoyed their chicken and noodles and southern style green beans. Good stuff!
I had one flight today, and it theoretically should have been canceled, but I decided that based on all the factors, including that the safety of flight wasn't at risk, I'd do it anyway. One of the problems was that on run-up we found the DG doesn't work at all all of a sudden, and we were on a cross country. Kinda hard to turn to a heading and hold it if the DG is randomly rotating around. ;) But it's a nice VFR day, so she got an exercise in using true ded reckoning, timing, and maps, and waypoints on the ground, to stay on course. Good enough, not a big deal. The other issue I knew about ahead of time, but only after she'd already driven over an hour to get there, on the only nice day we're going to have for awhile, that also didn't affect the safety of the flight. So we discussed everything and I told her about the decision making process, and we went, and it was a good experience. A pretty day, even kind of warm-ish, which is nice considering they're talking about 7 degrees at 7 am in a few days here. Below zero wind chills on Christmas Day. Gah.
The second flight of the day canceled because his medical had expired and he was to go on a solo cross country. He could have still gone up on a dual flight, but he canceled anyway. And then texted me and bemoaned the beautiful weather day. I'm like...yep...coulda gone up, there's always something to work on, man. :)
I wanted to take Cameron up in the Aerostar today when they got it done, but they didn't get it done in time, so it would have to be tomorrow, which will now be wind shear at pattern altitude, 35 knot surface winds, possible precip, and all around nastiness. So we wait. *taps foot impatiently*.
One of our instructors is gone now. Zach, new guy, got a job in S. Carolina flying a Navajo, so today was his last flight with us, and he moves for good in a week.
And that's about it for today.
Ann diving into the chicken and noodles
Just a view out the 172 on the way home from a cross country to Indy Exec
The boys working on the right strut on Gumby. (Steve, Jon, Spencer).



No comments:
Post a Comment