Thursday, February 22, 2018

Independence

Okay, Kaylee.  She had an orthodontic appointment today at 2 pm.  She didn't want to go by herself, but we told her she'd be fine.  We're both really sick and down today, hard.  So we have to call the school to let her out, and then she can drive there herself, check in and do the appointment, and drive back to school for her musical practice.  She didn't know how to get to the ortho, and followed Steve's directions (and had the address plugged into her phone I'd bet), and thought she was lost once, but she wasn't. She said her friends don't go to these appointments without a parent.  I told her that she often thanked us for not being as controlling as some of her friends' parents, and that her parents were 1) sick and 2) trusted that she could drive there, let them pick her teeth, and drive back to school without us.  Then I said something like "Welcome to independence, adulthood, and the responsibilities therein."  ;) 

She hasn't made it home yet from musical practice, but she's probably not going to be super peppy because she had to get up early, drive to school, leave to drive 40 min roundtrip for an ortho appointment, go back to school for musical practice, get home whenever, she has rubber bands on her teeth now which do NOT make her happy, her teeth will probably start hurting soon, and she'll have homework to do whenever she does get here.  Long day for a kid still recovering herself.

I was in pretty bad shape most of today.  My head feels like a balloon blown up three times its size and packed with lead. I rattle when I breathe out hard enough.  Drugs are required for survival.  Steve is down but not quite this bad yet.  Kaylee was back on her feet in three days.  I'm going on day what, four?  Hopefully that means I'll be on the upswing now.

At least it's been raining a lot so I'm not missing out on a ton of students.

No comments: