It takes so long to get up to 6000' I was tempted to stop lower. But I didn't. I just did two things--aileron rolls and loops. I don't know how many I did or how long I was up, but I did them for awhile. Then when I was done with the loops, I did rolls until I got down to around 3000'. So I'd roll, dive to pick up speed, roll, dive to pick up speed, etc and lose a bit of altitude each time, until I did the last one set up to enter downwind (from enough distance to lose the last 1200'.)
When I landed from that, I pulled out the 340, and pushed the T-6 into the front of the hangar. D came out and we headed for Joliet, IL. This is by the Chicago area. We both were thinking it had two long crossing runways. No. It had one grass strip and one 2800' concrete strip surrounded by trees and buildings. We discovered this before we took off, so I grabbed the POH and ran the numbers. We fit out of there...barely. The short field landing was good for him. ;) I waited there for him. When we landed, he had a rental car. I asked to use the courtesy car. The line guy hesitated and looked at me, and yes, I know, they're for pilots, yes I am one. I go to this place called Crispy Waffle, and have this amazing brunch. That right there's worth a lot, and not having to pay for it is even better.
The airport had no pilot's lounge, just a main area to hang out in, with a TV on with things like "Maury Povich". None of the chairs kicked up or back, and none had head rests. That made for a very long day, actually. You couldn't get comfortable, couldn't even slouch. A storm was brewing, so Line Guy #2 comes up to me and very helpfully asks if I should call the pilot, because a storm was coming, and would he (the pilot) like them to tie it down or double chock it or anything? *sigh* I said thank you, but no, it'll be fine, there is no hail associated with it, no high winds in front of or anywhere around it, ceilings and visibilities were great, so this wasn't a real threatening storm, and the plane will be fine. It's easier when I'm the only one in the plane or I'm in the left seat and on the radio. lol
When we got back, D said he hadn't really done a lot of maneuvers other than straight and level in the 340. I had showed him the T-6 vertical up and down photos. So we cancelled IFR early, since it was a clear day here, and I had him do a couple 45 degree bank turns left and right, and then I took it and did a 60 degree bank turn, a power off stall, and a mild wingover, just to show him a little of the envelope of the plane since it had been awhile.
Steve had a lesson right when we got back, and when he was done we went to Hydration Station to have dinner and a drink while waiting for Kaylee to get done with marching band practice.
Did I mention she's jumping back into marching band because they need her so badly? There are 21 kids in the band this year, it lost about half its members. We feel bad for Mr. M, trying to do this. She said tonight she's annoyed that we didn't stop her from joining back up, now that she's had her first 6-9 pm practice outside in the heat, and with a group of kids she doesn't know except basically one. After her 9 pm practice she now gets to start all her homework. :/ Ugh.
However, today she was voted in as Junior Class Treasurer. So that's pretty cool! She said that because last year they had no sponsor, they also had no fundraiser for their class. So they're supposed to put on the prom for the Seniors this year. Last year's Juniors had $6,000 to spend for Prom. Her class currently has $200. They only get one fundraiser, and they're supposed to raise about $5000 in the one fundraiser by the end of the year to give the Seniors their prom. Yikes! But she's a class officer now, so that's great. :)
Tomorrow looks like a rain-out, which is fine with me. I didn't have anyone scheduled anyway, somehow. I think we could all use a quiet day.
No comments:
Post a Comment