Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Partial Panel

I truly haven't had a moment to sit down and type up anything in days here!  But I'm still alive, we all are, I swear.

Right now I'm so tired I feel like falling in bed and it's only 9:45 pm.  On second thought, why shouldn't I fall in bed?

I'm missing days and maybe when I can think I'll see if I can go back and fill in anything important.  But for tonight I want to talk about Sunday, Monday and today.

I was kind of proud of myself Sunday.  I planned out how our day would go, counted backwards, and it ended up going like clockwork somehow.  So many potential points of failure, and yet it went off without a hitch.  We were out of the door by 9 am, left the ground at Kokomo my 10, flew to Ohio and got there by 11 a.m., picked up our first rental car of the day, drove Kaylee to camp by noon, filled out paperwork and got her dropped off safely for her first week as a counselor, drove back to the airport by 1, took off and made it to Nashville by 3 pm.  A line of storms that wasn't supposed to be there, was there, and we got through the line before it closed in and became a real problem.  We were on the ground awhile at the airport there, while we picked up rental car #2 of the day, then drove to the hotel, checked in, changed clothes, freshened up, and left the hotel by 4:20 pm, arriving at the wedding at 4:50 pm.  It started at 5.  BOOM, clockwork.

The wedding was beautiful, of course.  Morgan and Cathy had set up a picture, by the guest sign-in book, of Morgan dancing with Richard at Steve and my wedding, when she was 2.  She was a dancing machine that day.  They set next to it a sign that said "We know you would be here today if only heaven wasn't so far away".  It was a thoughtful and sweet way to include Richard in the day.

After the ceremony, Morgan and Rick had their bridal party and their parents come up and come together in a circle and pray with them, for them in the start of their journey of marriage together.  I loved that, too.

We did a few photos, and then there was dancing for awhile, and eventually we headed back to the hotel around 10 pm, tired but well-accomplished.

We needed to leave the next day because I had to get back for a trip, but another, big and nasty line of thunderstorms popped up between us and home, so we hung out for the day instead.  It cleared off enough for us to head home finally, and I think we made it back to our house around 9:30 pm or so.   I couldn't go to sleep right away, had to repack anyway, then I was up at 4:45 a.m. for a trip to Iowa.

I thought, hmm, Iowa.  So I looked it up, and I was only 90 miles from Council Bluffs.  I sent Stephanie a message, and she was free today, so I thought...why not?  I grabbed a rental car when we landed (by the way, I flew through a rainbow on final approach, which was really very cool, but I was too busy to try to capture it.), checked into a hotel, then drove down to CB to visit with Steph.  I have seen her maybe twice in the last 18 years.  But like always, we weren't together for more than 5 minutes and it was like we'd always been.  It's a strange friendship we have I think, but in a good way.  Unusual is probably the better word.  We go for months without talking, years without seeing each other, but there's no doubt what we mean to each other.  We had a really good afternoon together, and then her husband came home, and we all went to dinner, had a little custard for dessert, sat around and talked, went out to visit her parents briefly, and then I came back to the hotel, where I am currently ready to crash.

While I was here, I got a text from D who wanted me to fly him a part down to Baltimore asap for an emergency problem they're having...except I can't because I'm not going to be there.  He asked if someone else could fly it down in the RG, except it's going on a checkride tomorrow.  And I don't know who else would fly IFR into Baltimore.  So we left it that he'll try to UPS it instead, but if he can't get it in time, I'll fly back from Iowa then turn around and fly right to Baltimore.  That would mean I'd probably get home around 1-2 a.m., but I must say, I've actually had longer days.  ;)

Stephanie said "You have long fingernails. You've NEVER had longer fingernails than I do. You've never had fingernails at all! And you're carrying a purse! You never carried a purse. When did you get all girly on me?!" Heh. I am kinda proud of the nails. They won't last for long, but for now, hey. ;)

Not much word from Kaylee yet. I know she had a little trouble with some older boys who wouldn't listen to her at the lake slip and slide she was in charge of, but she didn't say much else. I hope the rest of this week is going okay for her...

That's it, I'm out for now. Tired...

No comments: