Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Ides of Pi

Kaylee has memorized I believe 38 or 40 digits of Pi.  I don't know how long she'll retain it, but she memorized them long enough to get some extra credit points at school, anyway.  :)

Saturday we spent out at the airport.  The guys worked on the Saratoga mostly, and we were out there until sunset.  Then Kaylee's DI performance was over and Steve and I drove out to the school to pick her up.  She was exhausted, so we ran her home before we went to dinner at Outback, since I had a gift card.   She slept in past noon today...she was wiped out, hadn't slept the night before hardly at all, had been working hard for days, and had spent all day in Indy at this thing too.  So she was glad to have today off.

I finished watching Breaking Bad on Netflix today.  It's good but depressing, a good, quiet, pushover, boring man diagnosed with terminal cancer who starts using his Chemistry background to cook meth and sell it in order to be able to provide for his family after he's gone.  He turns into about 85-90% monster, about everybody he deals with he ends up killing for reasons he finds justified, self-defense, etc.; his family ends up finding out what he does and hates him, the money he earned for them they refuse to touch, the whole reason he did everything, it was all for nothing, and he lost everything including most of his humanity.  In the end he admitted he did it because he liked it, he was good at it, that he finally felt alive.  It would have been nice if they'd ended it showing what happened to his partner, and how his wife and kids ended up.  It definitely got you hooked and kept you coming back to see what would happen next, but it sort of made me sad, too, which is I guess the point of the end of a good series.

Kaylee and I were talking today about flying, and I told her about one kid who has really been bitten by the flying bug.  She looked at me and said "I don't have that bug."  I told her I knew that, I'm well familiar with what the bug looks like and doesn't.  :)  She asked me if I was disappointed, and I said no.  She asked if I would like it better if she did love aviation.  That's a harder one.  I told her that I thought it would be neat if she liked airplanes too, but that no, I am not disappointed, and that my bug doesn't have to be her bug.  When she said she didn't want to be a pilot for a living, I thought THAT part was a good thing.  :)  But I told her she was still going to get her pilot's license, because it was a mistake not to, and she agreed.

Steve got a little too much enjoyment today out of handing me a letter that came to our home address that I hadn't seen.  It was from the local Prosecutor's office, offering me to go into a "Diversion Program" for a speeding ticket I just got.  On the road to take Kaylee to the school bus, it goes from 40 to 30 mph at some point.  Everyone on that road drives 40-50 mph.  I was doing 44 mph when I got pulled over, and actually thought it was a 40 zone.  I had just crossed into the 30.  When he asked if I had a good reason for doing 44 in a 30, the answer of "because if you do 30 you'll get passed like you're standing still" didn't help, but it's true.  I've done it every day since, gone 30 mph down that road, and I am getting blown past like I have a flat tire.  If I do the Diversion program, it's like the Mafia blackmail, they take your money and put the ticket aside, and if you keep your nose clean for a certain time period, they'll make the ticket just go away.  No points on your license, etc.  If you get another ticket, you get hit with the one you just got plus this one, and that probably means defensive driving class.  So, I'll probably end up paying my blackmail money, and then I'll have to be much more careful on the driving thing for awhile.  *sigh*

I could have gone with Nathan to pick the Cheyenne up from Indy, but I didn't know when he was going, thought it was going to be early, checked my phone once halfway early, then figured maybe he couldn't do it on Sunday after all, turned off the ringer so I could get some more sleep, and missed the text.  Such is life in aviation.  :)   I haven't been in the Cheyenne in a year and a half or more, but I think coming up I'll have to start remembering/learning the airplane.  I look forward to it.

That's about it for the day.  Tomorrow early I head to N. Carolina.  I'll even get to watch the sunrise from the air.  Right seat, so I'll be on the wrong side of the plane for photos, but I've probably taken enough of those anyway for a little while.  :)  Tomorrow's high will be 72 degrees here.  We're hoping this is the end of winter, please!

No comments: