Friday, December 16, 2011

Flyday

Yesterday we had one more mission: we had to get the C-340 back from Illinois for a trip to Michigan today. The problem was the weather. Because of Kaylee's program, we had to leave by one if we were going to make it back in time, and there was no option to not be back in time! Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating. So the next time we could go was after Kaylee's program, and that's what I did. At 9 pm, Dustin, myself and our 3rd pilot got in the RG and went over to Illinois, just VFR under the cloud deck which had raised enough to allow us to do that. Due to some circumstances beyond our control we didn't get back to Kokomo until 1 a.m. and pushed it into the hangar, where Justin was waiting to do the upgrade on all the avionics. The charts and such had all expired on Wednesday, and with this trip this morning, I needed them updated, and this was the only time to do it. We were there until 1:30 am or so finishing that up, and finally it was time to get home. I got to bed sometime after 2 a.m., and was back up at 7 a.m. this morning, checking weather and heading right back out to the airport.

There was a layer of clouds, and it was clear and sunny above, just the way I like it on a winter day. :) This was the first official trip I'd taken the plane on beyond on a maintenance flight, and I took a picture out the window of the nice view from 17,000' somewhere over Michigan...
The trip home was at night, in a light snow shower at first until we got on top, then had a nice, quiet ride home, arriving a bit after 8 p.m. I didn't stop for dinner, I just drove home in the dark, sat on the deck for a few minutes and had a drink and hung out with a few fellows, then came inside and passed out on the couch. I woke up at 2:30 a.m., stumbled on into bed, and slept until 9:30 a.m. straight. I was beat...

No comments: