Saturday, May 08, 2010

Plodding On...

Yesterday was spent entering time sheets, fuel sheets, pilot supply invoices, credits, receipts, payments, and all manner of boring but necessary billing things, with a small break for lunch at Glenndale. Today I or Nathan was supposed to fly the T-6 over to Muncie for a flight, but the winds were blowing too hard for my comfort or ability on a short crosswind runway in that plane, and the person who was going to get the ride is actually the one who canceled, with the statement that they didn't like the winds. Instead we all went out to Kokomo while Nathan and Jon worked on an airplane, the kids played, and Steve and I did very little of import. ;) We were planning on grilling out, but it was too windy for that, too. It was just a cold, blustery, sort of icky weather day, but at least the kids had the run of the big hangar, and by the time we got home Kaylee was exhausted. She got the couch ready then told me to come over and cuddle with her; five minutes later she'd passed out in my arms where she slept for over an hour. I had no remote, no phone, and nothing going on around me, so I just watched her sleep. She's a sweetie...

I'm on an email list for an EAA Chapter out in California, and I was sort of impressed today to have an email in my inbox from Budd Davisson. Not that he was writing to me personally, but hey, it was still kind of neat. I did a double-take when I saw his name. (Don't know who he is, do ya.) ;)

For some reason the below poem has been all over the place lately, including in my inbox for my "quote of the week". I used to have a poster of this poem that I had stuck up on my wall both at Cedarville and at flight school, and I still have it memorized all these years later--not that I have it memorized on purpose at this point. No, I can't remember vital information some days, but I can still remember poems I memorized as a grade-schooler (like "By the shores of Gitchee Gummie") or memorized as a highschooler like this, written anonymously:

"Don't Quit"

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill.
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns.
And many a fellow turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man.
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor’s cup.
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt.
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar.
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit,
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.

No comments: