Sunday, November 15, 2009

Weekend Ramblings

While it's better in some regards to be busy at the airport over the weekend too, it's been nice to take some of these weekends and just have quiet family time at home. I took a digital holiday and read a Patricia Cornwell book. At 500 pages, it occupied me for the entire afternoon/evening. ;) (There's also a new massive Stephen King book out that I've avoided looking at too closely. In due time.) Kaylee had just finished cleaning up her room/putting away her clothes, and was thrilled when I did two more loads of laundry today that included some more of her things to put up. I don't blame her-it's my least favorite chore of all time, and I don't know how those of you with three, five, eight children handle all the clothes. I had a hard enough time keeping up with one kid...and I am so grateful she's old enough to put away her own clothes now. I wonder if I could convince her to put away mine, too...

Speaking of clothes, I was looking at the wall of pink, lavender and purple shirts and ties on men on the television again, and it just makes me shake my head. Not really at men wearing pink or purple, because, well, why not? Women can wear any color they want, what difference does it make, it's not an assault on manhood if they wear pastels. But at "fashion" itself. Fashion is supposedly a cutting-edge kind of thing, where you go out and know what is "in" and "stylish" for this season, and you make sure you have it too, like everybody else. Or like everybody else who reads/sees that it's the next new thing anyway. Really, it's very predictable. For example: women's make-up. What you are "supposed" to do varies per season per year. So, let's say last Fall it was fashionable to wear dusky earth tones. Next time around they will go for the "dark/bold" look. The year after that it will most likely be "bright". And so forth until they end up back in the cycle. Bright lipsticks one year, nude lipsticks this year. And how about hair? Short hair one year, then long hair, then curly is in, then everybody is straightening the next. Pencil thin eyebrows, 'natural' eyebrows next. You can guess what is coming up next just by going with the opposite of whatever just was. And that's not even getting started on clothing. It's not that hard. I just can't figure out why I should care and spend lots of money on things I'll have to give away or quit wearing shortly because it's worse to wear "just got tired" fashion than to just wear "classic" clothes that could fit in at any time. (Of course I don't usually do either one these days, so I don't have much room to talk.) You can (try to) take away my Woman Card if you want... Oh well, at least my lack of spending on makeup, clothing and hair stylists can be instead used on books, electronic equipment and 100LL. We all have our priorities, and my hair, makeup and clothing gets messed up in airplanes anyway. ;)

My tooth that crumbled is still doing okay, thankfully. I'll call the dentist tomorrow and see when I can get in, but so far the only discomfort I feel is when I drink/eat something really cold or hot on that side. I'm so grateful it didn't expose a nerve ending or something late at night on a Friday night when there's nothing I can do about it for days...

Today has been a good day of rest. We made eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast, a few naps have occurred, a little football (Colts/Patriots game tonight), Steve's gotten some little projects done, I've gotten some housework done, Kaylee's been playing, I shared with her some of my Dark Mayan Chocolate coffee (extra milk of course) ;), and all in all it's been a good day of unwinding from the work week and preparing for the next.

Kaylee did a lot of playing outside, with Steve. Swinging, "Cluck Bucket" (her favorite pretend restaurant game), sweeping out the garage, playing horsey in the back yard, just having fun on a pretty day. I apparently missed seeing them trotting around in the back yard on "horse lessons", but that would have made for an excellent photo op. ;) They played a board game, she and I played in her secret hide-away a couple of times, and I let her do a sleepover kind of thing with me last night too. Today she and Steve played "spy" and they had glasses on and would watch me from various corners of the house, skulking around, trying not to be spotted themselves. She's had a good weekend. :)

In the truth of the day section, I saw a quote a friend put up that said "God may give me more than I WANT to handle sometimes, but he has never given me more than I CAN handle. There is a difference."

No comments: