Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Girl Interrupted

Steve spent several days last night on the phone with Comcast to get our internet back up and working, and it wasn't pretty. It never is when the person on the other end of the phone knows less about what they are doing than you do and want you to do things you don't need to do and try to get you to fix a problem that doesn't exist while simultaneously not fixing the problem that DOES exist. I heard him say "Do you even know anything about routers?" (The answer was no by the way.) Finally she "fixed" it with a simple modem reboot on her end, but leaving a giant mess on our end for Steve to figure out and fix for a few more hours. He was thrilled. The cats hid. The kid stayed in her room. I just shut up. For once. ;)

It was a busy instructing day for both Steve and myself. His schedule had flights non-stop from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and mine had flights from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a couple of breaks in between. One of my breaks was to pick Kaylee up from school and take her to dance class, where she tried out Jazz for the first time and was completely enamored. She wants to do jazz and hip hop. Hip hop only has a class Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. I don't think so. So she loved the jazz class, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Her grandparents took her to get ice cream afterwards ("with REAL cherries in it Mom!") while I flew, and all in all she had a very fun afternoon.

One of my flights today was the second flight with a Pinch Hitter. I have good, positive stories to tell about lots of flights I take, but even anonymously a public forum isn't really appropriate for that unless I make it impossible to determine the date and such of the flight, and by the time it's that far after the fact, I forget about what I was going to say. ;) Ah well. Tonight I was on a long final at Kokomo when a plane called in a shorter base and final, so I just did a 360 and let them land first. I didn't know it was Steve. He got on the ground and saw an airplane do a landing at Kokomo and stop on the runway for a minute before going again, and didn't know it was me, until later when we swapped info. Two ships passing in the night? :)

Steve is currently on the phone with Verizon swapping my service to replace my lost phone with his old cell phone, so hopefully shortly here I'll have a working cell phone again...

With the internet back on, the phone back on and a cell phone back in my purse, I guess things are aligning properly in the world again.

Quotes from the last couple of days:
------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
~Elbert Hubbard

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."
~Frank Tibolt

"The great thing and the hard thing is to stick to things when you have outlived the first interest, and not yet got the second, which comes with a sort of mastery."
~Janet Erskine Stuart

"Challenge everything you do. Expand your thinking. Refocus your efforts. Rededicate yourself to your future."
~Patricia Fripp

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain cool and unruffled under all circumstances."
~Thomas Jefferson

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow."
~Dorothy Thompson

No comments: