As she always does with special days, Kaylee enjoyed making the most of Father's Day. She made up a list of things she wanted to do, and we proceeded to do most of them throughout the day. She started with a warm foot bath with scented things and moved on to home made cards, presents, a party, a relaxation spa, unlimited back and foot rubs, and all manner of things. She sure loves to celebrate!
Kaylee, Steve and Richard walked down to the car show that is held at the park every year which usually falls on Father's Day weekend. She took my camera and took a bunch of photos, which I will go through another time.
I was reading a book today, and I had to smile when I read this paragraph praising a quiet little restaurant by describing the 'others':
"Most restaurants these days are as noisy as a drum-and-cymbal factory invaded by two hundred chimpanzees intent on committing percussion. Those establishments eschew sound-suppressing designs and materials under the pretense that cacophony gives the patrons a sense of being in a hip, happening place. In truth, such restaurants seek and attract a type of customer whose very existence, in such numbers, proves our civilization is dying: boisterous and free-spending egotists taught since infancy that self-esteem matters more than knowledge, that manners and etiquette are merely tools of oppression. They like the sound of their own braying, and they seem to be convinced that the louder they are, the more desperately every onlooker wants to be in their clique."
From a restaurant and societal description to the baser sides of humanity easily:
"Each of us is the sum of his experiences, not in the Freudian sense that we are victims of them, but in the sense that we rely on our experiences as the primary source of our wisdom, unless we are delusional and live by an ideology that refutes reality. At decision points in life, a sane person is guided by the lessons of his past. My past had taught me that the very fact of my existence is a cause for amazement and wonder, that we must seize life because we never know how much of it remains for us, that faith is the antidote to despair and that laughter is the music of faith. But every lesson we learn from past experiences is not always the one we should have learned. I had learned that anger should always be watered down if not extinguished with humor, and I made no distinction between unworthy anger and the righteous kind. Anger is the father of violence, but I had not allowed myself to consider that wrath, when it is the product of pure indignation and untainted by ideology, is the father of justice and a necessary answer to evil. ... By shooting at (my six year old son), he helped me to learn as a man what I already knew as a novelist: that wrath can lead to principled action and even to principled violence."
And from the darker side to the hopeful:
"Evil itself may be relentless, I will grant you that, but love is relentless too. Friendship is a relentless force. Family is a relentless force. Faith is a relentless force. The human spirit is relentless, and the human heart outlasts--and can defeat--even the most relentless force of all, which is time."
I always have loved Koontz.
As you can tell, it was a quiet family day around here. It won't be a quiet week ahead, so it's good to take those days where you can. Unfortunately our busy trainer that we just got back online ran into another issue, so to speak, and we had to take it off line during this lovely weekend and early part of the week here. It would be great to catch a break there...
No comments:
Post a Comment