Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Screaming and Bleeding

A very gross subject title, I know, but it sort of fits both of the first two paragraphs. ;)

Kaylee got her Spring Break Wish today as we went to McDonald's PlayLand for lunch and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. She had fun, almost always had someone to play with, and she never likes to leave. She also won't eat hamburgers or the chicken nuggets, so the only food I can get her to eat from McDonald's right now is a plain fish sandwich. So *I* got a kid's meal with a burger to eat so she could have the toy. There's something kind of funny about that. :) It was obviously Spring Break though, because every child in town was there, and it was chaotically loud in there. If I wouldn't have had a book to tune out my environment, I would have been the crazy lady with my fingers in my ears rocking back and forth in my seat. ;) I knew it would be that way, but the girl loves to go! While she was there, Kaylee scraped her left knee, banged the right knee into a table, hit her head and stubbed two toes. She was a walking accident today, though the bleeding was kept to a minimum at least.

While she was playing, I cracked open the Twilight book(s). I've been too busy with other stuff to read much lately, and these are four pretty large books. I dislike putting a book or series down until I'm done with it, so I've been waiting until the right time. Also, I have to admit, I've had a little trouble getting motivated to read a romance series, let alone one about a 17-year-old girl having met her "soul mate" who is by the way a vampire. The basic premise makes me roll my eyes enough to hurt myself. :) But everybody I know who has read them has enjoyed them, and I've not turned down reading something in my possession so far in life, so I was curious and wanted to give them a shot. I started the first book while Kaylee played at the PlayLand, finished that and am about 200 pages into the second one "New Moon" when I took a break to write this. They're not bad. They aren't my style in general, but they're fine, the writing is...blunt...enough to not be as cheesy as the premise makes it sound, and I do want to see how they end. I did think it was amusing that the main girl in the story, Bella, sounds a lot like I used to be as far as being able to trip, fall, or in some way hurt yourself or break something even in a padded room. Some people didn't call me "Grace" for no reason. Fortunately I'm usually only repeatedly clumsy now if I get flustered, and I don't get flustered all that easily any more. ;)

Kaylee spent a long time playing on a Disney Fairy website, making (safe) little fairy friends and talking to them and decorating her fairy home and all that fun stuff. She had control over my computer for quite awhile, actually. She is still enjoying her time off, and I still don't mind not having to get up quite so early in the mornings this week either!

One more unrelated thought. I was driving around today, and for some reason it occurred to me that I am tired of people telling me what I can't do. I don't mean I have authority issues, I mean all the times people have told me I'm not capable of doing something, I don't have the ability to do something, I shouldn't try something, I won't be able to do it, etc. I've always been fairly patient about that, mostly just ignored the negativity and went on to do or try whatever I felt I needed to do anyway, and then was admittedly slightly smug to myself when I would successfully do whatever it was I was told I couldn't do. But I've had about enough of that. I am not an idiot. I know myself pretty well, I know my strengths and weaknesses, I can evaluate where I fall short and work on it, I am realistic, and I hate failing. So if I do something, in general I feel that it will be something I will be able to accomplish or that I will at minimum gain something important from it. Fortunately my family and close friends have never been anything but supportive to me. I appreciate that, because the world is full enough of people telling you what you shouldn't try, can't accomplish, and won't be able to do in life. What do they know, anyway? When I was young, they bothered me, I wondered if they were right, I worried that they were right. I slowly learned that they were almost never right. They don't know me very well for one thing, and for another it isn't up to them. It was a...freeing realization.
--------------------------------------------------
"Certain thoughts are prayers. There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees." ~Victor Hugo

No comments: