Tuesday, February 26, 2008

One More Round

We got another round of snow, and I was correct-this is the snowiest winter Indiana has seen in over 20 years. Greeeeeat. Tomorrow is supposed to be unpleasant again. Kaylee's school had another 2-hour delay this morning, and they've officially run out of snow days meaning everyone's going to be in school for a couple of extra days at the end of the year. I rather like the snow delay days. That extra hour of sleep and another hour to slowly get ready works nicely now and then for a break! Again, it was slick out there though, and that part I'm not so fond of. The cars are coated in white residue, but you can't wash anything-the slush and weather for the last month straight has made it an exercise in futility.

I found myself childishly impressed with redbox again. I saw that the new Barbie movie came out, so I went online and reserved it through redbox. After I dropped Kaylee off at school, I stopped at the McDonald's where the little red box is, swiped my credit card, and with that info it knew who I was and spit my movie out at me. No muss, no fuss, no people, no time taken, no lines. $1.00 for a brand new release. Kaylee was thrilled, to say the least, to have a little treat to come home to this afternoon. :)

Today was the work at home day, so I made trips to the grocery store, post office, you know, The Rounds. Today was apparently Oprah day at the checkout stand. While I have nothing against Oprah, unlike some people I know, ;), she was all over the magazines. Of course first there's "O" magazine, which has her on it every time. Then there was a magazine about "Oprah's Recipes", and another that had "Oprah's Thyroid Cures", and still another on Oprah's push for Obama. Okay, well, welcome to Oprah Week I guess.

When I picked up Kaylee from school, I took her out to the airport where I picked up my copy of the signed contract and one spouse who was out there working on one of the airplanes with Nathan. On the way home, I was stuck behind this slow-moving pickup truck. I made a comment, and Kaylee starts mimicking me from the back seat, and making FUN of how I said it in such a nice voice. She pipes up with this smarmy little make-fun-of-me voice, and then says "Daddy and I would just say 'MOVE IT YOU SLUG!' but Mommy says 'oh dear, I wish he would go a little faster'. Mommy's wimpy about it!" Steve was in the front seat, I believe the term is 'guffawing', at me. Hey, I'm trying to teach her to be compassionate about things like that. Because I'M perfect at that you know. *sigh*

Right now we're watching "Primetime" about "What Would You Do?", on what people do when they think no-one is watching. It shows scenarios such as a group of pretty girls ragging on a plainer girl and calling her "loser", etc. Cameras watch as some adults walk by, some get mad, and others start acting like bigger versions of the "cool kids". One woman handled it just amazingly, quietly, almost like a professional child psychologist or something. I could see myself reacting the way a couple of them did, and then I saw this woman, and I thought "And that's the RIGHT way to do it." I bet Steve's mom would do that-she would have a kind heart towards all the girls, not just the victim of the attacks. A little mini lesson on love to Laura for the night. :)

No comments: