Friday, December 21, 2007

Achy Breaky Legs

Today was Kaylee's school Christmas party, so she wore a dress and gold shoes and had a fun day. She got a ton of candy and little goodies, and was quite pleased.

I worked all morning on Kaylee's room and a few other things, and then went out to Glenndale for our Friday Lunch. It was a true southern meal, with cheesy potatoes, sweet cornbread...stuff, rolls, ham, etc. It's nice to get together with friends and coworkers and just hang out. :)

When I picked up Kaylee, I brought her right back to Glenndale so Steve could watch her while I finished some last-minute Christmas and food shopping. I decided to go to Meijer in hopes of finding everything I needed in one place. It was (obviously) Packed Out, and I was there for quite a long time. I did find about 90% of what I needed, but at least one of the remaining items was rather important, so after I filled the car with my bags, I headed over to Target, where thankfully I finished finding everything I needed (for now). I started shopping at 4:30, and it was about 7:20 pm before I got home. It was...trying...but I think we're almost set up and ready to go for the holidays, and I plan on enjoying the time with family and friends.

When I was at Meijer tonight, I was at the Deli to get some sandwich material, when a man basically cut in front of me in line. I didn't say anything, and the next available person went to help me, and the man turned around in surprise and said "Oh! I'm sorry, I thought you were already being helped!" I waved a hand and said "It's no problem." He said "You're one of those girls who will let somebody step over them without saying anything, huh?" just joking. I started laughing at that, and said "Well, if I'm in the right mood, I guess so. Merry Christmas!"

Usually I end up shopping on Christmas Eve, and I noticed a big difference between today, 3 or 4 days early, and Christmas Eve. People are in much better moods. I was helped by two friendly and cheerful employees tonight, as opposed to the slightly hostile and frazzled ones I typically encounter. The stores were packed out and crowded, but the people were in more of a holiday cheerful mood than the Last-Minute Desperation and Anxiety Mode that I usually see. I noticed that in several different stores. There's an unscientific but circumstantial chain of 'evidence' suggesting that even 3 or 4 days ahead of time will leave you with friendlier folks to deal with. :) And no, I don't need the suggestion to start shopping in July and be done by November! :P

Tonight I'm going to do a lot of wrapping, and I was going to do some clothes hanging, but I am tired. My muscles are all really sore too. Who knew this shopping/cleaning stuff was such good exercise. ;) I'm not done yet, but I'm at least feeling pretty good about what IS done...

No comments: