Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Montage

I went out and "rocked the vote" today, placing my black pen mark next to the candidates for our city who are most aviation-friendly. We're now awaiting the results. It's funny, I really do detest politics, but I can't exactly complain about what's happening if I don't even put forth the effort to put my one measly vote in there. I do hope the guy gets in as Kokomo Mayor who has already let it be known that he'd make life easier for us out at the airport.

Kaylee had a fine day, and I let her have a friend over tonight for a couple of hours after school, so she's happy. Her handwriting and math are really coming along nicely in school...I'm impressed! Yesterday I had her skip ballet, because she had a head and ear ache and I wanted her to rest. I let her go to cheer anyway, because by then she was bouncing off the walls and feeling fine. The cheer routine, they're about halfway through it, and it's really cute. It's also fairly complicated! I'm going to video it once they do it with their outfits on, and see if I can put it on a webpage. TOO cute.

A news story just "hit the airwaves" about women on the birth control pill having a 20-30% increase of plaque in their arteries for every...shoot, 10 or 20 years they are on the pill. They're calling for everybody to be on the lowest dose necessary for them, and to go see their cardiologists and track their cholesterol and blood pressure closely as well, that this is a big deal and a critical finding. I hate to sound a little know-it-all-ish, but, well, I knew they'd find something more sooner or later on the birth control pill.

Oh dear, it's Tuesday and I don't have a Top Ten. Hmm. I'll have to think about that and maybe get back to it later. ;)

I was looking at something on youtube, and the next thing I saw was a whole bunch of videos all labeled "The Blasphemy Challenge". Out of curiosity, I clicked on some, and basically it was one person after another sitting down in front of a camera and saying they denied the existence of God. They were linked to a website called "The Blasphemy Challenge", which I went to, and...well.... They're using the verse Mark 3:29 to claim that if you say out loud and in public that you're denying the Holy Spirit, you are surrendering your soul for eternity because God will never forgive you. How very "Goosebumps" of them. If you tape it and put it on youtube for them, they will send you a dvd, "free, at the cost of your soul." Their webpage has a section where they show all the videos submitted to them so far. A couple of 15-year-old girls with studs in their noses and already old eyes who said it as if they were instead calling up "Bloody Mary" in the mirror. A very angry man with a saying on his t-shirt I won't print here out of respect. A flippant young man who said "I deny God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit...whatcha gonna do?" You get the idea. This "challenge" was put out there by a group of people called "The Rational Response Team". They even showed their photos, and they did seem to all be over the age of 18, at least physically. A side note in my mind is wondering, if they don't believe in God, heaven, or hell, then exactly how much of a challenge is it for them to 'give up their soul' by saying so? What's the point? I have to be honest, mostly I thought it was kind of sad. Anyway. Enough.

Oh, today I went to order something for SMA Support, and realized that my credit card had expired the end of October, and I'd never gotten a new one. So I went into the bank today to ask about it, and they told me that a new card had been sent in the mail, but that it just comes in a plain white envelope, without the name of the bank on it, and that a lot of people toss them as junk mail. That's an entirely plausible scenario, but whether Uncle Sam ate it or I tossed it, I didn't get it. So we had to close that account totally, and I had to fill out another paper and get another card on order. But in the end, it really works to my benefit because I was able to convince this person to triple my daily "allowance" of online purchases. Now I shouldn't have to call two or three days in a row with another "payment", but should be able to take care of about anything I do in one fell swoop. So it was an hour long hassle, but in the end, I'm pleased.

My Aunt Christie and Uncle Christopher just had their baby girl! 7 lbs. 15 oz, dark hair, 21.5" long, no name yet, they said they're still working on it. Welcome to the world, Baby Girl West! :)

To end on some quotes of the day:

"A child's life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark."
-- Chinese Proverb

"Children have more need of models than of critics."
-- Joseph Joubert

"It is far easier to leave angry words unspoken than to mend the heart those words have broken."
--Author unknown

"To say yes, you have to sweat and roll up your sleeves and plunge both hands into life up to the elbows."
-- Jean Anouilh

"Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your spirits."
-- William Hazlitt

"Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: