Thursday, March 30, 2006

Pretty Day!

Today was a NICE one. The highs were in the upper 60's lower 70's which is just PERFECT to me. I went flying with a friend today, shut down an engine (in a twin-engine) for real with the fuel selector, did several emergencies and had fun on a blue skies day. It feels good to get proficient again in certain areas.

Afterwards I picked up Kaylee at school and after lunch I took her to the park. She had so much fun, running around in the sunshine, finding little friends to play with. She was in a dress-my girl who likes to wear dresses and get dirty at the same time. I just sat on a picnic table in the sun and enjoyed the afternoon. She was fearlessly going up to kids twice her age, asking their name, wanting to play with them. One little girl who was probably about 8 or 9 blew her off, said in a snotty voice "No!" when Kaylee asked if she wanted to play hide and seek. Kaylee frowned at her for a second, then basically shrugged it off and found someone else who did. Later that girl wanted to join them and play, and they let her. I was proud of Kaylee for both things. Little in the scheme of things, but signs of a character I hope she can continue to grow. Take rejection with a grain of salt instead of as a personal failure--and show compassion and kindness even to someone who wasn't always kind to you.
Later that afternoon, Kaylee wanted to make cookies but I only had the ingredients for brownies. So we continued a favorite mother/daughter tradition of mine-making fudgy brownies, with nuts, and only baking them halfway. So the results are a warm, gooey, chocolatey, goopy, delicious mess. A little milk, a big brownie, and Kaylee and I sat on the couch and just talked and ate and laughed.

I try to picture her at 14 or 24 and I wonder where we'll be then, what she will be, think, etc. and I know that she'll be totally her own person by then and won't want to snuggle any more. Won't tell me she wants to be a fairy when she grows up, won't tell me that she loves me more than anybody else. I'm going to miss that, and the bright innocent twinkle in her eyes. I love her giggle, and her twinkle, and I am very happy that she has had a childhood so far that has kept the sparkle there. There's another little girl in her class who already has sad eyes, and that breaks my heart. They are 4 and 5 years old...

I like it that the biggest trauma in Kaylee's life thus far is that I make her go to bed when she doesn't want to. I like that she's loving and affectionate and confident and...Happy! I am enjoying her, every day. :)

No comments: