Saturday, February 22, 2025

Spinning Out

I just did household stuff yesterday for the most part. Got some supplies for my upcoming colonoscopy. The directions said get 2 32 oz bottles, but Meijer only has 28 oz bottles, so that made me do math. ;) It also surprises me (not really) how much of what I actually like is red. Red popsicles, red jello, red juices. I don't like yellow and green and orange ones. Nope, just the dark ones. *sigh*  So I got white and light blue and light pink gatorade. It's not red, it doesn't count... And you know what? In 2025 you would think there would be a better way to do this than this. Absolutely freaking NUKING your entire system, knocking you unconscious, and then shoving a camera up your butt. Seriously, there actually are better ways. Why am I doing this again? If they don't see anything interesting, this may be my only one. Or maybe one more when I'm 65 or something, maybe.

I got an email today that my passport info was received, payment accepted, and would be processed and back to me within 4-6 weeks. They said my current passport was now invalid. It's still in my hands and still looks good though, so hey. I just hope nobody says "Hey, we need to go to Cancun next week" now. That's why I waited until after Puerto Rico and took it with me, even though you don't need one for PR, we were hoping to go over to St. Barth's, which is French run. But as far as I know, nothing else should come around for awhile.

This afternoon I flew with Morgan in the yellow Citabria in order to do spins with her, so she can do spin training with someone else. We've done a lot of spins over the last few years, but this time she'll be in charge with someone who doesn't know what they're doing, so we went over a fair amount of information. Did stalls, entries, spins to the left and right, slipping and skidding turns and which one goes into a spin and which doesn't. We ended up doing like 6 or 7 spins in total, and it was fun. It's always fun when it's high enough and on purpose. ;)

The hardest part of that was getting the plane in and out of the hangar. A good two feet in front of it was a sheet of ice, and I almost wiped out three times just trying to get in the hangar, knowing the ice was there and being as careful as I could. It is not good out there. The sun doesn't reach that part of the hangar 'driveway' so it won't melt off until the temps are well above freezing for awhile. Which hasn't been for awhile, but I think is coming later this coming week.

Steve, Chuck, Cameron, Morgan, Kaylee and I went to Pastarrific for dinner and to hang out for a bit. All in all, a nice afternoon/evening.

I read this the other day: 
Psychiatrist Thomas Szasz on what is required to learn: 
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all." Well, that's true. I used to have trouble with learning because I didn't want to do something not perfectly, or do something badly, and prove the people who told me I wasn't good enough or smart enough or just...enough...right. Or prove the voice in my head saying the same thing, right. Now days I feel like I'm experienced enough that it also makes it harder to be vulnerable on not knowing or being good at something, because now people expect more out of me and I expect more out of me too. But you don't get good, or stay good, or get better at Anything without making mistakes and failing once in awhile. I just hate that part. So I always have to remember that and overcome my initial desire to avoid it. ;)

Tomorrow Morgan and I go to Marco, FL to pick up Andy and Sharla. We don't have to leave super early, so that's nice. When I get back, Ethan and I are taking the Conquest over to drop off in Ohio for a few days for maintenance, and then first thing Monday morning I'm flying Nick in the 340 to southern Indiana. Monday afternoon I get back in time to get my hair cut, and then at 5 pm I'm supposed to start colonoscopy prep. Tuesday morning at 8:45 am it's showtime at the hospital, procedure at 10:45 they say, and then I have a dental appointment at 1:30 which Steve will have to do with me. What a week...

Frozen tundra

With the panel in the pic you can see the spin



No comments: