Saturday, May 25, 2024

Alabama

Happy 28th Anniversary to Steve, whom I left at home for his anniversary present, I guess!  Lol We texted hello, love ya, a couple times, but it was another busy day.

Downstairs by 7:15 am, leave at 7:30, airport by 8, start the process of getting the Beech out of the hangar and ready to go. I get it all ready, and weather is moving in. They do a few pre-sold rides, I get a few bites, then we all look at the weather and there’s a huge storm coming. So I get the tie downs and secure the airplane again, do all the things, and the weather just creeeeeeeeps.  For hours. It never really arrives and when it does it’s just rain.  So we lost most of the day to the rain.  Then around 3 pm it clears off, and it’s humid as hell, and I stand outside by the plane and try to sell rides. I get two who hung around all day waiting. I’m supposed to have three, but with one in the front and one in the back I can make it happen and not go in the hole. So I do, to try to get things started, which makes the rides guy mad because he says we need 3 people or THEY lose out on money. They lose out on $5 of OUR money. I’m the one doing the selling, the prep, the loading, the briefing, the rides, the ramp walk, the debrief, I have no crew, and they just collect and process the money.  So…

Second flight was a family who bought the whole plane for $800. Three little kids, two men. The guys sat in the back without headsets, and the 3 kids sat up front with the headsets, and screamed the entire time. Happy screams, yelling, shouting, playing around, it was deafening, I had to turn them off a couple times to hear radio calls. The girl wanted right seat, the dad gave it to her brother instead, who pretended (verbally only) then to crash the plane and scare his sisters until I told him to knock it off.  We got down, finally, that was a long 20 minutes of noise, but the girl came back about 15 minutes later with a bracelet of weeds/flowers she’d made for me and put on my wrist. She was alone, and she said thank you, very sincerely. It was sweet.

I had no more rides. Topped off with fuel on top of the burning wing, cicadas in my hair and on my pants, put everything away, and saw they were calling for more storms the next morning early. This time there was no hangar available. I woke up this morning at 5:30 am to the sound of wind, rain and thunder, pulled it up and saw hail symbols, so I’m hoping when I get out to the airport, BOB is in one piece. 

8 of us went out for sushi last night. It took them 2 hours to feed us. Longest time frame to get a volcano roll ever. ;) Got back to the room at 9:30 or so, and Kaylee called to talk for 45 minutes or so. I put in the rides to RallyPoint and updated my logbook and then I was in bed.  Back up at 5:45 am to start today.

Because of the rain, I now have three rides scheduled for Monday, so I can’t leave Sunday like I was going to. It’s going to be hard to be here 5 days straight. This stuff is exhausting. Soooo many people. Soooo much sweating. And talking. And sun. And humidity. And people, did I mention people?  And selling. I just love trying to sell people on things. And the speech of what all BOB did. 50 times a day or more. Okay, I think I’m done complaining. It’s time to go downstairs and get some breakfast and get ready for the next round.  Wish me luck.


WWII Veteran telling us all stories of his service while it rains

He used to fly C-45s :)

Full size photo

Bugs everywhere including me

Where we had dinner

A guy I gave a spin training endorsement to, his CFI wants me to send this endorsement to endorse myself that I was allowed to provide the endorsement because I’ve been a CFI for more than 2 years. So stupid. You don’t endorse yourself, if you sign the endorsement you’re certifying you’re allowed to do it, or you wouldn’t be endorsing the guy in the first place. I hate that stuff. 

This is me dying

No comments: