Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Back in the Saddle

I got to sleep in this morning, which is still nice, because I'm still not at 100% as far as stamina goes, from being sick.  I left the house around 9:30, got to Frankfort around 10:15 (I speeded a little), and Ethan and I took the 340 over to Ohio to pick up the Conquest.  It was a beautiful, severe clear day, which was much nicer than yesterday's weather, and I'm glad we were able to wait and do it today instead.

I did a very thorough preflight of the Conquest. It has been apart and sitting for 5 weeks, major engine work, and everything apart.  Everything looked great.  And then I climbed in, touched the dash, and it fell completely off and down towards my lap.  So I climbed back out and went back in and said "Um, the dash isn't secured".  The funniest thing is, the mechanic and a test pilot took it up on a .7 flight right after all the work was done, and they apparently never touched the dash, and it must not have come down on them even on climb-out.  I thought that was wild. Anyway, they reattached that, and THEN I took off for home.  Everything looked good.  

Ethan was behind me in the 340.  When he got there, we went up together and he flew, to refamiliarize himself with it again too.  Came back in, and it was time to go home. I hadn't eaten, so I stopped at the Milky Way and got a soft taco and some breaded mushrooms.  

Steve got done at work around 6, and I met him at Pastarrific for dinner.  They have a new bacon scallop risotto, and it was actually quite good!  I had to take half of it home since I'd eaten "lunch" at 3 pm, but it was still worth it.

Kaylee had asked for help for the job her job had switched her over to doing, which included tracking food prep, going to all the houses and taking inventory, doing all the shopping, distributing everything to all the houses, and a bunch of other stuff.  She's leaving now, and will be starting a therapy internship on the end of the field she really wants to be in.  She texted me today that the job she had done completely on her own was being divided up and given to *Four* different people.  She said it made her feel validated and heard for the times she asked for help, and how hard she'd worked there for them.  She's not sorry to be leaving some of that behind and moving on to therapy stuff vs house and food spreadsheets, shopping, tracking, dispersing, etc.  ;)

We used an air ionizer machine in our room and our guest bedroom, to kill germs and mold and bugs and freshen the air after my week of ick.  I like that thing, we ought to do it more often. Steve uses it next door in the basement too. 

I still come up to the deck and expect to see the cat sitting there meowing at me. Or curled up in a chair. I still block the door when I'm going in so she won't run in, for just a split second.  Glad to not have to do pee pads and food multiple times a day and be unable to leave overnight, but yep, still sad she had to die.

Just a few shots off the wing on the Conquest.

No comments: