Saturday, September 09, 2023

Nice Day

Today was really relaxing and refreshing, until I came back home, anyway.

I unfortunately woke up at 3:45 am and couldn't get back to sleep properly. I was up past 4:30, then had to take headache drugs, then halfway fell asleep until Steve got up at like 6 something.  Lousy night's sleep.  But I went over and got his mom's meds and breakfast so he could go out to the airport early and move planes around with Jon, and then I made it out there by 10 am.

The T-6 had two rides sold in it today, at $425 each, and we didn't have to travel anywhere to do them, so hey, we made money on them.  The C-45 also did two rides, and the PT-26 did 3 or so.  Not a huge rides day, but an easy one, and a fun day.  We also did 44 Young Eagles rides in our regular airplanes.  The day started off IFR/cloudy, and we all stood around and stared at it, waiting. When it got up past 1100', we started sending up the Young Eagles riders.  There was ice cream, which I didn't eat, and donuts, one of which I did eat.  I hung out with the CAF folks throughout the day.  At the end of the event, the Young Eagles rides were done, the warbird rides were done early, and I went to move the T-6 back to its hangar.  Jon was fueling it up.  I said "Bad news is, I'm going to have to fire it up to take it back to the hangar."  He blows that off and says "Well, you'll have plenty of gas."  About 15 seconds later his head spins towards me and he says "HEEEEY. Wait a minute.  I Know you!"  I started laughing, told him it took him long enough.  Laura's Rule. If you have to start it up, you might as well at least take it around the patch.  I convinced him to hop in the back with me, and I took off, swung around a little bit, came in and landed, taxied up to the hangar and shut down.  It's tradition, you know. 

Then Steve F came up and asked if I was wiped out, and I joked about it, but what he really needed was a flight review in his Champ.  I said sure, so we went up and did that.  Meanwhile, Steve went and got some Pastarrific spaghetti and lasagna, salad and breadsticks.  Good stuff.  So I and some of the others set up tables and chairs and had a little group dinner with out people. Some of the CAF people, and our crew that helped out today.  Then Morgan, who had given Young Eagles rides, I taunted her into going up in the Champ, but she wanted me to go along, so I did that too for about an hour.  Golden hour, the fields are turning colors, the Fall colors of the sky, the golden sun, the beautiful Fall colors are starting to pop.  We had a really nice flight, with the window open and the warm but not hot air in my face.  

When we got everything put away, a small group of us sat around the last table, they had whisky and cigars. I had water and second hand smoke. ;)  We watched the sun go down, and had a really nice time. Spencer was back for a few days here, Cameron, Morgan, Glenn was around for awhile, Jon, etc. 

So I flew three hours today, it wasn't a day 'off', but it was still the most relaxing, enjoyable day I'd had in a long time.  It felt like air therapy, and I felt content and peaceful.  Then the sun went down and I needed to go home and get Ann.  She didn't want to go to bed in her normal chair, had trouble taking out her hearing aids, taking off her shoes, kept wanting to do something else.  The second I got out of my car I could hear that cat meowing super loudly at me, so I get back home and feed the cat.  Sit down and start updating my logbook, and a movie "Wild Hogs" is coming on and I want to just enjoy the movie. I never get to watch a show or a movie all the way through any more. Either Steve has to pause it to go to the bathroom for 20 minutes, or take a phone call, or in the evenings, Kaylee will call sometimes because she's bored and just want to talk.  I hate not finishing a movie or show in one setting, especially all the time.  So here I am, after having been around people for weeks straight every day, "on", and now I have the house to myself, so I start the movie.  I get 2/3rds of the way through it and Kaylee calls. I don't answer.  She calls again, and I don't answer. She texts me, and I don't answer.  I know her next move is to call Steve.   I'm watching the movie, and Steve comes home.  Tells me Kaylee texted him that I'm a turd.  She calls again and I hand him my phone. He says "Just pause it" and I said "nope", and turned the volume up. He went in the other room and they chatted for awhile, and I finished the movie in relative peace.  I need time to myself to recharge, and I haven't had it in a long time, and I can feel it.

Tomorrow I go back to TN to pick up half the family that's down there and bring them back. So, more people.  It'll be an easy half day, and I'm not doing it until 6 pm at night. So I leave the house at 3:30, get to Frankfort by 4:30, get down there by 6, pick them up and back at Frankfort by 7:15, drive home by 8:15.  So I can sleep in tomorrow morning, if my system will let me, unlike this morning... 












No comments: