Monday, June 05, 2023

Florida

At the airport by 8:40, in the air shortly after 9 am.  Me, Kevin, his wife Janene, son Steven, went down at 25,000', uneventfully. We had a nice tailwind, so got down there in under 2.5 hours.  When I got there, Kevin and family loaded up and headed to Disney, and I took a courtesy car and went into town for food. I went to this seafood place, and when I walked in, they pushed a table number onto a robot and it talked to me and said something like "Follow me to your table, please!" all girly and chipper and Disney or Barbie sounding. I followed it, it stopped at the appropriate table, it left.  Later it brought me my food on a tray on its back. If I was a waitress there, its voice would drive me insane in short order, but it was wild, a first for me. 

The trip home, I was alone, so I went up to FL320, so I could see if those random cracking and banging noises were still happening up at altitude. Fortunately, the answer to that is no. There wasn't a single one, which is much more reassuring.

Oh. I got a call from the Lead pilot of the mass T-6 formations at Oshkosh.  He asked if I was coming to Dubuque and Oshkosh this year. That it's the 85th anniversary of the T-6, and they want to put up a giant 8-5 number formed by T-6s, and he asked if I would be interested in participating.  I got a personal invitation to fly over Oshkosh in an "85" tribute.  Four years ago I couldn't get them to fly with me at all, now they're calling me to come do their tribute.  That feels pretty nice, actually.  I was not planning on going to DBQ or take Checkertail up to OSH either one.  But that would be neat to be able to participate in.  I dunno.

The rest of my day was answering emails, feeding the cat and Ann, answering more emails, setting a schedule, you know, the exciting things that comprise daily life.

X marks the spot

I'm following the robot


Garlic butter sauce with clams and mussels


Florida is always hot and bumpy

So many dials and buttons

Eating dessert on the way home by myself

Thunderstorm cell just off to the right

And that's what it looks like on radar.

No comments: