Friday, March 03, 2023

Fri-ikes

What a weather day.  I'm just glad I don't have to go anywhere today. I didn't even go to lunch. The one down side about me having this 'real job' coming up is that I'm going to have to try to make every flight work as best I can even if it's nasty weather.  But not today.

Kaylee reached out yesterday afternoon with this:  "One of my students slit her throat today and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, and the rest of the girls are traumatized and were crying and I had to step in to lead the house because the staff members were shaken and needed to debrief."

Yikes.

So we talked for quite awhile, because she was feeling sad and disconnected and traumatized herself.  She found out later the girl survived, but she was still sitting in her room by herself basically feeling weird and sad and lonely.  So I kept sending her pictures of Roadie to make her smile.  When I checked in on her this morning, she said "Hi mom! We're all doing better. :) I don't have any updates on the student though".  I said good, just wanted to check in on her.  She does some heavy stuff for a 'kid' who is an unpaid intern looking into what this field of hers will entail.   She also always steps up in a time of crisis and does the right thing. And then afterwards she falls apart pretty hard.  Then she gets her balance again. But little stuff will throw her for a ton of loops. The smallest things just upset her applecart, but when the big stuff comes, she stands up. It's a little amazing and frustrating, because that shows me she's capable of handling the little stuff too, and I wish she wouldn't let it get to her so much.  But I'm grateful that when it really counts, you can count on her. She's smart, and sarcastic, hard working, and a lot tougher than she thinks she is most of the time.  Of course she is. She's a Johnson and a Stants.  There's a...steel core.

I'm still doing the decluttering thing off and on, and today was 'on'. I went through and made some decisions, threw out some things, set some others aside to maybe sell on eBay. We have Isabel doing that out at the airport for us, and she'll list them, take photos, ship stuff out, etc.  I have several areas that are looking pretty good now in the house. I mean, most people would never know the difference just looking around, but digging into things, I know the difference.

I got bills and emails and little projects all caught up today too, as I leave Sunday.  So I've been trying to take care of my stuff.  I'm feeling pretty good about all of it.  I still have to get my clothes and bags ready to go, which I will start in on tonight, and finish tomorrow.

Know what else I get to do tomorrow?  GO LOOK AT MY CAR.  It's here.  The pictures the salesman sent us had the interior a lighter grey when the photo showed it black, and I liked the black.  So we're going to go take a look tomorrow, and if we still like it, I may be able to sign the paperwork tomorrow before I leave Sunday.  And I'll have a new car in the garage waiting for me when I get home.  Exciting!

I finished the 10 modules on "Square One" or "Chris Beat Cancer", the health program for cancer patients who want to go holistic. I only watched it because it was free, but I actually liked about 70% of it.  I skipped the module on spirituality. He's a Christian and I obviously don't have a problem with that,  but each of these modules is 45-60 minutes long, and I just was not in the mood for a sermon on "why bad things happen to good people".  I've already been through that journey on my own, thanks, don't need to relive yours.  I skimmed the module on exercise because it was about studies on how beneficial exercise is for you.  Well, duh.  Had some ideas on good exercises to do, but basic walking and rebounding (jumping) pretty much cover a lot.  But the studies that have been done on various spices, foods, plants, and their specific benefits in specific areas WAS pretty interesting.  I actually made quite a few notes, and I'll go back and organize those later, and see about adopting some of the things that I could actually do easily. Amla powder is the most potent antioxidant known to man, cuts cholesterol and blood sugar levels too. As for something we sort of already knew, Vitamin D is the #1 anti-cancer vitamin. Women with Vit D levels higher than 60 ng/ml had an 83% reduction in breast cancer compared with those lower than 20 ng/il.  Stuff like that.  Like I said, no way I'm going to an all vegan plant based diet and eating nothing but smoothies and salads.  But there are some things that wouldn't hurt to add in.

We have a fighter pilot coming to talk to us at the airport. His name cracks me up, Major "Check" Six. (Check your six, you know?)  He was born to be a fighter pilot with that last name.  lol  I'm going to go out for a bit, and then I have an appointment 1:30-3 tomorrow, and after that I think I'm going to look at my CAR.  Woo hoo!

Well, the wind gusts are supposed to get over 60 mph now, so I've charged up my phone, ipad, laptop and watch, juuuust in case.  So far 22,000 people are without power in central Indiana with the winds in the 40 knots range, but we're doing fine here.  So far.  Lots of trees down, some stoplights fell off (that's bad), but so far we're fine.

I didn't take any photos today, but ran across these and they both made me think the same thing.

Mmmm Hmmm.

No comments: