Thursday, September 24, 2020

Thursday Part II

Part II to finish out Thursday.  Lon and Cathy are here, so that's good.

I'm sitting here with a cup of decaf coffee and half of my giant piece of chocolate cake.  And it's GOOD.  And I regret nothing.

So as I said, tonight we Flying Squirrels instructors and sponsors met with the kids and their parents, the ones who could make it and/or wanted to make it. It was helpful for them all. We provided the facts, answered all their questions, let everyone talk about things, how to help the families and how to help the survivor, how they themselves were feeling, etc.

Then one of the moms looked at me and told me that her son Ian had been on a flight Saturday with the same group of kids, with one of our other pilots, and was supposed to be there on Sunday too, but overslept, and missed the flight. And then she said "We trust you with our kids", and I felt my heart drop into my stomach. But we were there to take whatever they needed to do or get out. Then she looked down, looked back up and looked me in the eye and said "And we still trust you with our kids". The other parents nodded, and I about lost it. What grace. Her son went flying with his instructor again for the first time since the accident.

It was the right thing to do, it was good, but wow, I'm drained...thus the going to do something mindless and eat my chocolate cake. Tomorrow is full of funerals. And people hugging. Which I am terrible at. (Weak attempt at humor). Wish us all...Peace? Strength? Something.

No comments: