Monday, April 20, 2020

Baaaack to Monday

Quiet Monday.  As expected, the governor of Indiana extended the stay-at-home until May 1st.  So breaking from two weeks and going to 10 days.  ;)

A student of mine is in on conference conversations with IU, Purdue, etc. trying to figure out what to do in the Fall.  They don't know how not to go back to school, and they don't know how to go back to school without cramming a bunch of kids together and making the virus spike again.  I'm not going to tell Kaylee this yet.  If she doesn't go back in the Fall, I may have a despondent kid on my hands.  We'd rather not bother paying a lot of money for her to sit on my couch and do a couple classes on her laptop. We're not thrilled to be getting back 20% of her several-thousand-dollar room and board when she was only there 54% of the semester.  Like I said, we were supposed to "flatten the curve", not "eradicate the virus", which we can't do within 2 years if then.  So let's carefully and gently start up again.  The data shows Indiana pretty well clear with an extremely low rate of infection by early  May.  So hopefully by August it won't be an issue to go back to school in Indiana.

The news says tonight that domestic violence calls are up 70-110% in nearby areas due to people being without jobs, without income, being stressed, and being locked inside with others.  Suicide rates are drastically up as well as depression and other mental health issues.  There is more than one way to count cost, and lost lives count when they're lost in other ways, too.

I ordered a weighted blanket for Kaylee, which came in today.  It's a 12 lb blanket.  Normally the good ones are very expensive-this one was originally $130.  I got it for $35.  Not too shabby!  She'd been interested in having one to sleep with, as she has such trouble with sleeping.  Thought maybe it would help.  We'll see.  She likes it so far.  She's in "Finals Week" right now, the last week of her freshman semester at "college".  She's going to be applying for a job at Big Ben's Coffee Shop after school is out here.  I think I said that already.  I might have said all the above already, I don't remember.  It's not like I have a lot going on right now to talk about, so pardon me.  ;)

Yesterday when the temps went up, my eyes were watering, my throat was scratchy, and my head was filling up.  This is normally when I wake up with a headache.  I didn't.  Woo hoo.  :)  If I get by without a headache tomorrow morning too, I'll know I'm better than I used to be.

Steve worked outside and inside both today.  Kaylee had classes and a final.  I called a couple doctors and cleaned up inside and had a couple email conversations.  Scintillating.  Tomorrow is Tuesday.  Windy again.  Too windy to Champ fly.  I have a virtual doctor call with Ann, and...a book to read?

No comments: