Today Indiana's governor declared we should move into "Shelter in Place". But you go read what that means, and...it's the exact same thing we were just in. "Essential Travel" and "Essential Businesses" only. You can still get groceries and gas and go to work and the CBD places are open and so is Starbucks. Drive-thru, of course. I've seen a couple people say that people can live 21 days without food and fat people even longer, so they should shut it all down and you be locked in your home and police or military keep you there for the magical two weeks (that never really officially starts), and if you need anything, too bad. I have another country they can move to if they prefer. Should people limit exposure and stay in? Sure.
I saw a wedding in NYC this morning on tv. They were scheduled to be married in May, the venue was canceled, so they did it in the empty streets of downtown New York City. They had several people scattered around at least 6 feet away, and their minister was up on the 4th floor of the apartment building, leaning out the window. He'd yell down "DO YOU SO AND SO TAKE..." and the lady leaned back in her white dress and screamed up at him "I DO!!!" It was the funniest, and most New York thing I'd seen in a long time.
I didn't quite get everything done I expected to today, but I didn't do badly. I got my bank situation fixed so I could buy an expensive piece of equipment, ordered it successfully, only to get an immediate email that they were out of stock and didn't know when the manufacturers were going to send out any more. So I then had to cancel that order, but it put a wait on my card for that amount, and I have a daily limit on the card. Naturally! I got the information for one section of the website updated. One more to go on my immediate list. Hopefully tomorrow. Got the usual house stuff done, and the usual exercise.
Then it was time to pick up some medicine for Ann & Steve both. So Kaylee came along, and we hit the drive through at CVS first. Then we drove around and I took some pictures of some of the signs in the windows and on the boards. We didn't interact with anyone, touch anyone, touch anything, or expose ourselves or anyone else to anything. Just drove around and took photos. When 9/11 happened, I went around and took photos of all the flags around the city, and signs of support. This is a little different, but again, the world looks different, with empty mall parking lots and "closed" signs and "Drive-thru still open" signs all over. So I captured some of those for posterity.
Meredith and Kaylee and our families are basically including each other in it. They and all their friends don't get together in groups other than virtually/on line, but those two do get together, at our house and then at hers, and we're going to call it a mental health need. So they sat up front and did homework together, got on Zoom and chatted with their other friends. Talked about life. Yes, we are aware that one person outside of the family creates a risk.
Steve was out at the airport most of the day, working on maintenance stuff.
I tried placing another order at Walmart for pickup. I got all done, and they let me know what all they didn't have at least, rather than canceling my whole order, but I ended up canceling it because they didn't have anything we actually needed. So I went to Kroger and placed an order there. I don't know how that will go, but I couldn't get toilet paper or paper towels still, and I couldn't get a free pick up slot for several days, so I went with a delivery charge to have it delivered here. We'll see if we end up with the crackers, peanut butter and cheerios that I haven't been able to find properly elsewhere yet. (It's a different Kroger than the one I went to the other day). It's to be delivered at 2 pm tomorrow, so, we'll see. They recommend leaving your groceries in your car for three days to kill the virus from them being touched. We're all just doomed, you know that, right? You can't leave EVERYTHING in the car for three days, so if you bring in anything, you invalidate that. You can't wipe everything down perfectly. You can't get handed your fast food or restaurant dinner without the risk of one of the workers touching it being sick and not knowing it yet. You can't go to the grocery store without being in a petri dish, and you can't have them delivered to your car or your house without workers exposed to a ton of people touching them. So...I'm just saying. That's why I'm not going to go crazy about not letting Meredith be part of our circle. There is a cost/benefit ratio to everything you do. I'm a lot more likely to pick up something from going from store to store trying to get supplies we need than I am from Mer who doesn't go anywhere but her house and our house.
Well, it's late, gosh, 1:30 am, and I need to head in. I'll see about posting some of my pictures tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment