When I was at CVS this afternoon picking up antibiotics for Ann, the pharmacist said "Birthday?" I said "Yes it is!" She looked at me funny and I said "Her birthday is 3/21/33. Today." So Happy Birthday to Ann, 86 years old today, and celebrating by dealing with a sinus infection and fluid in both ears. I think she might be starting to feel a little better this evening, especially with knowing what's wrong and a way to go about fixing it. That always helps!
Kaylee was up until 5 am working on a huge paper that's due by midnight tonight. After being up until 5 am she only got halfway through her paper. She's back to working on it now, and has to have it submitted in the next 4 hours. Good luck to her. I made her pasta and pizza and have tried to keep her focused as best I can. She's kind of in trouble on it. I hope she gets done on time.
It was a busy day. I had a couple phone calls first thing this morning, including setting up a doctor's appointment in April for Ann, who had been feeling dizzy. Then I had my own doctor appointment. I got there at 10:15 am for a 10:25 am appointment. I'd filled out the paperwork online, but they wanted me to fill out even more paperwork once I got there, which I did. They didn't even get me back to the room until around 11:40. And then I sat in that room, with nothing but a t-shirt and a sheet on, until after noon. I was there for over two hours, which did not make me happy. Eventually she came in to do the procedure, and I have to say, that really, actually, legit hurt. I had to hold my breath and grit my teeth, and then the "observer" said "Don't forget to breathe. Take deep, slow breaths." I didn't really want to, I wanted to hold my breath, so that way nothing moved and would hopefully not hurt as much. When she was finally done, she told me to sit up slowly and they'd have me sit there awhile to make sure I didn't faint on them. I'm not going to do that. So, this part gets a little detailed, so skip if you don't want to know personal stuff.
She said that I have at least three fibroids, pretty good-sized, and that because of them, my uterus is swollen to the size of a 10 week pregnancy. They are causing me some side effects, and her answer to those side effects was all different forms of hormones. Depo Provera, IUD, etc. I have declined any treatment that includes hormones. My hormones are doing all right and I have zero desire to mess with them. There are risk factors of various things with that. Weight gain, emotional and mental issues, cancers, headaches (like I need THAT), and I've known people who were messed up in very severe ways from Depo. So like I said, I said no thanks, I'll just deal with the original side effects. I was in there for a biopsy, so they took samples of cells, and will be testing to see if they are "pre-cancerous, cancerous, or non-cancerous". When they get back to me with the results, then we'll discuss options. She said that fibroids always have a possibility of becoming cancerous even if they currently aren't, so that it's generally not a bad idea to go ahead and just remove your uterus just in case. A hysterectomy would of course put me into immediate menopause. She said that I'm probably almost there anyway. I said "I don't have any symptoms of that yet, and my mom and grandmother were well into their 50s." She scoffed at that idea, and her face was actually pretty funny when she said "You're 47 years old and no signs of menopause?" Lol Nope. She assures me that it'll probably happen within the next couple of years. We'll see. So I told her I don't want to go for a hysterectomy either. But there are other options. First, of course, we have to find out whether there's cancer involved or not. I'm not expecting there to be, for the record. If there is cancer, of course that changes the game. If not, they could do an "ablation", which would basically burn out the inside of the uterus. That sounds kinda painful, to be honest. I have to look up what exactly that means. Or I could leave it alone, but they keep growing and there's a chance they could morph into cancer. So anyway. One step at a time. First step, biopsy results. Then we'll go from there. The procedure left me not feeling the greatest. Sore, cramping, bleeding, etc. I took some Tylenol and ended up busy enough the rest of the day I didn't have much time to dwell on it anyway.
When I left the doctor's office, I had to run over to the store, and on the way home, Ann texted that she could use some help. So we talked for awhile, then I re-called the doctor and changed from an April appointment to a today appointment. We went right out to the doctor's office, and it was a pretty thorough appointment. We were there until after about 4 pm, and they said that there is fluid in her ears. That fluid could be causing the dizziness. They also said she probably has a sinus infection. So she has some new medications to do for a little while here, and will hopefully be feeling better pretty quickly once she starts the antibiotics tomorrow.
Steve had a flight then a meeting tonight, so when he got home around 9 pm, we went over and brought a little birthday cake. When I picked it up originally, it tipped sideways and smashed on the side. When I saw that, it made me really sad for a second, I guess the straw that broke the Laura sadness for a second, and then it made me laugh, because it looked sad, but was going to be fine. It tastes the same, and it seemed appropriate that it did that today I guess. :) Anyway, it was a fresh strawberry torte cake, angel food, strawberries, whipped cream, and it was good!
So as I finish this, Steve is working on the computer on billing, Kaylee is panicked trying to finish her paper in the next hour and 40 minutes, and I'm finishing this and going to bed for a hopefully less eventful day tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment