Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Callbacks and Kentucky

Bright and early, Dustin and I launched for Frankfort, Kentucky.  While we were on final, I looked around and realized that I've been here before.  I don't know why, it wasn't MBros, and I don't know in what, although I've got the RG in my head.  I've definitely been there.  It's bitter cold today, wind chill around 4-8 degrees. My fingers were numb under gloves pulling the plane in and out.  But once in the plane, with the heater running, on top of the clouds, we were warm and comfortable, and it was a nice view.

We were going there because the company had a likely job at a private company there--Buffalo Trace.  That's one of the bourbons we have on the deck.  So I joked with Steve that I hoped Dustin brought me back some samples.  But Dustin was there to collect samples, of sludge, to test, so I had to qualify that I didn't want THAT kind of sample.  He didn't come back with either type of sample after all.

We weren't on the ground for long.  Dustin brought me back a Jimmy John's sandwich, and we headed home to a fierce headwind.  When we got home, I put the plane away in the nice blasty cold wind, then dragged out a Cherokee 180 that needed test flown, and took it up.  That was one of the saddest Cherokees I've flown.  That was one old girl.  No brakes on either side, just the hand brake. Weird door latch.  Torn up back seats.  Wonky Airspeed indicator and VSI.  Suuuuuper old.  But it ran just fine, at least.  I flew around until snow showers and low ceilings were moving in and I had to land as I was losing visibility in the pattern.

Kaylee's callback auditions were tonight.  She was again very pleased with how it went.  She was able to read for Dolly twice, and then the rest of the time she read for Minnie.  She said she sang pretty well, but Casey sang better.  She also said Casey had obviously gone home and practiced Dolly from the same places she had, because when she got back this time, she was doing Dolly exactly like Kaylee had been doing it, like Barbara Streisand had done it in the movie.  So she'd finally gone home and done some homework, and she is probably going to get that part.  Kaylee never got to read for the #2 lead, and that's probably going to Meredith.  She said she did a great job on Minnie, the #3 main cast, and she thinks she's held onto it and will hopefully and likely get that part.  She came home excited and upbeat, that her and her friends have good chemistry for the play, and that if it comes out this way, they'll have fun with it and enjoy it.  Now all we have to do is wait for two days to find out for sure if she made it in.  I might have fingernails and a stomach lining left in two days.  ;)

So, one AIRMET (Airmen's Meterological Information) says Moderate turbulence between 16,000' and 38,000'.  The next AIRMET says Moderate turbulence below 16,000'.  Why didn't they just say "Moderate Turbulence from the surface to 38,000'?" 

Morning light on the cloud tops on the way to Kentucky

This Blackhawk was coming in as we were leaving.  It was pretty cool, a little distracting.  Female pilot, was neat to see maneuvering right in front of us.

This was our code on the way home.  Good thing we're not superstitious! 

No comments: