Friday, July 27, 2018

A Little Excited

It was another beautiful weather day, and we took advantage of it.  I woke up early, way too early actually, and headed to the T-6 forum.  I ran into Tom McCord and we spoke for a few minutes before we both ran out of things to say.  When I sat down early, I only recognized one guy in there, the head guy Todd Winemiller.  He said “Hi Laura!”  I otherwise sat in a row that remained deserted.  :D. They did the usual maintenance and accident talk, and announced that they wanted their members to go up once a year for a proficiency flight in the T-6 at their clinics.  Not a bad idea, but probably the people who need to the most will be too embarrassed to, and won’t. 

Afterwards I ran into JP and Kathy Mellor, and we talked for awhile, and Kim P came up for a few minutes, and then Vic S. Introduced himself.  He was the check pilot for the T-6 for the WI wing, who flew with Dennis after I did.  He said “Great job with him!” and was very complimentary.  That was nice.  He also told me a little about the next guy of his I’ll be flying with, Stan.  So all in all, that whole thing was a good thing to go to this year.  Plus I get the insurance form out of it.  

I was back at the camper this afternoon when I got a text from the president of the WASP group asking if I’d be willing to come to Sweetwater, TX to fly the T-6 (Nella) for their movie/video, Aug. 25-26th.  I said sure.  So, I guess I WILL be the pilot for the WASP T-6 for the movie too.  I think that’s pretty neat, really.  There are several neat things on the horizon.  That, the C-47 (DC-3) type rating, finishing up the FAST card hopefully.  I think maybe next year I’ll work towards flying formation at Oshkosh.  I might only do it once and decide it’s not worth it, but I think I need to do it once, sometime here while I have the chance once I get the chance.  The movie, again, it isn’t going to be about me or probably even clearly show me, but...WE will know it’s me.  :) I need to go work on aerobatics some more, too.  Lol

We went to dinner at Wendt’s on the Lake, and I was walking to the bathroom and heard “Laura?  Laura!”  I turn around and have no idea who it is, but try to put on a friendly face.  :). His name is Richard, and he’s a Facebook friend I’ve never met before in real life.  He said he loves my Facebook posts, and hugged me when I left.  He fliew a taildragger C-185, a beautiful airplane.   You always have to be careful around here, somebody who knows you that you don’t know may be watching you!  Ha.  

They rescheduled the night airshow for tonight, so after dinner Steve and I went down to watch it.  He just did it for me, but I really enjoy that.  The fireworks in particular.  The airplanes are becoming more routine now that we’ve seen them repeatedly.  But I can’t get sick of fireworks set to different music.  It was great.  Cold out there, but great. 

Again, a fitting end to a good day. 

Kaylee is planning on driving home tomorrow.  She’s been keeping in touch with text and Instagram now and then, and I sent her a picture of the lake and told her about the fireworks being set to “Greatest Show” music, which she would have loved.  I haven’t seen her for too long, it’s time for a hug!  Sunday, I guess!

No comments: