Saturday, April 21, 2018

Work Day

Originally Nathan and I were supposed to be gone today doing TBM training.  That fell through for today, as the airplane isn't back out of annual yet.  So instead it was a typical work day, which actually worked out better for my students who have been trying to get in and get some flying.  The weather was finally nice and everything.

My first student was 8:30 am , so he was lucky I was friendly by then.  We did checkride prep for a long time, almost two hours.  Landed, I answered some questions for about an hour from another guy, then flew at 12:30 on a cross-country to a place I've actually never landed at before.  Got back from that, and the Cub was finally done and sitting in front of Nathan's hangar waiting for me.  Steve propped it for me, and away I went.  First time I'd flown a Cub in 9 months.  The sun was hidden behind a cloud layer, so it was actually a little chilly out, and when it's already chilly, it's EXTRA chilly when you're directly in the wind stream at 60-90 mph.  But I couldn't close the door and window because that's now how you fly a Cub and I'm not sure I could still land it with it all closed up.  ;)  So I just did three takeoffs and landings to get current, and brought it back.  It's in the big hangar for now in front of the T-6, and Monday I'll move it to Glenndale.  Glenndale is actually closer to go flying, but I have no other reason to be out there except Fridays for lunch.  I guess I could do that.  I used to drop Kaylee off at church on Sundays and then go fly the Cub.  Now I could go out a little early to lunch, or stay late, and fly then.  It's nice to have a specific time where you know you could go do something if you want to.  It increases the odds of it actually happening.  And this is as low cost in flying as it gets.  No maintenance, insurance, hangar, nothing but fuel, and fuel is 3-4 gallons per hour.  So, like $12-$15 for an hour of fun.  Beat that!  It's not the plane you want to use to actually DO anything, go anywhere, etc., but for therapy purposes, it's more affordable than anything else...cheaper than wine, dinners out, actual therapists, medications, or about any other airplane.  So if you need to just get some air, it's really good for that.  :)

We were going to do a birthday dinner tonight for Jamie, but he and Tre ended up sick today, so instead Steve and I went out to eat.  Kaylee is gone tonight, doing an Encore overnight group thing, so we had the place to ourselves.

Speaking of Encore.  Did I say this already?  She had auditions Thursday after school.  Everyone has to audition every year even if they're already in the group they want to be in.  But I couldn't stop thinking about this time last year.  She'd been rejected from Encore once.  She was on pins and needles waiting for Friday after school for the list to be posted.  I was practically sick to my stomach waiting to hear if she got in.  And when she did, it was one of the happiest days. She was so thrilled. And I was just so relieved.   And then they did their first new Encore group thing together, and she got to be part of the new group, and she was excited and walking on air for a long time.  She still does sometimes.   So tonight is the new group getting together for the first time, introducing the new folks, etc.  I like that!  Last year she was later told her audition was one of the top ten out of everyone who tried out for any group.  She worked so hard on that and gave it everything she had.  I was proud of her.  We still have this thing where sometimes I'll say "Hey, Kaylee".  She'll say "What?"  And I'll say  "You're in Encore."  And she'll get this big, real, happy grin and say "Yes I am!"  This is fun.  :)

First time I've had that view in awhile.

Nothing is green yet, but it's coming.

I still think it's pretty.

Steve and Nathan trying to find the hole for the screw appropriately.

Tale of Two Taildraggers. Beautiful (to me anyway).

No comments: