Friday was a busy one, it kept everyone hopping from morning till about 11:30 pm. In a good way, mostly.
I flew with two people, the morning was the first time I'd been able to be up and at 'em and at the airport by 9 am without feeling really cruddy. We had a windy day but it was right down the runway, so the guy could practice on flaring and landing. Didn't get it yet, but coming along.
At lunch time at Glenndale there was a party for Dale Etherington and Jerry Keller, who both received the Master Pilot Award for 50 years of professional and safe flying. There was a cake and a huge amount of food and something like 60 people there in the small space. We had tables set up back in Dale's office, and in the small area in between the office and the sitting room. There were people, people everywhere! Two guys from the FAA came to present them with certificates, and to present Jerry's wife with a pin for putting up with his 50 years in aviation. :) And then we ate a feast. It was only the first feast of the day, too.
At Glenndale there are at least two other guys who have more than 50 years in aviation that I know of, and probably several others I am not thinking of. I think it's neat the FAA comes and does a presentation with them. It is something to be honored. I have only come a little over half the distance! I wonder if, when I get there, if I get there, if they'll still be doing that or if it will be by the wayside like many other traditions, and if anyone I know from aviation will still be alive and care. Life's funny, ya never know, one way or the other. I won't lose any sleep over it though, don't worry. ;)
Then it was hangar party time. Jon, Justin H, Dave H, and Steve S worked hard all day on the hangar, organizing, putting up lights, putting up more lights, setting up tables, cleaning. Tre and Holly came in and decorated the tables with candles, fresh cut greenery, real flowers, Hershey's kisses, and pinecones, with runners and tableclothes, and it looked festive and lovely. We invited everyone who works with and for us, and their family. Instructors, maintenance crew, the guys working on projects in the hangars, the people who help us get it done one way or another. It was kind of our thank you and camaraderie for the end of the year. It felt like it was kind of an extra special evening, I think everyone enjoyed themselves, and we loved how the hangar looked all lit up, and we had lots of people tell us they loved it. And it was another feast. A huge feast. So much food. All delicious and perfect. It made for a festive and peaceful evening, a nice bonding end to the year, I'd say.
My problem is that I cannot choose which photos to use of it. So many pictures of the lights! So here you go. Too many photos, but deal with it. ;)
Pictures of people and food at the ole grass strip. You know that I know that these are the good days, and that some day this will all be gone. It'll be replaced with something else, I suppose, but this won't last forever, I know.
I think I'll do the Christmas ones on their own post. Too many.
No comments:
Post a Comment