They'd already spent the day at the airport, so I came out in the afternoon and Steve and I went up in the T-6, with him doing the flying from the front. It had been a long time since he'd been up there. I had a cushion under me that is pretty good. It's comfortable and raises me up what feels like a good amount, though I learned when we turned final that the runway still disappeared. I'm just so short and short-waisted. I want to see it again from back there, do some more flying with it like that, and get used to it. I learned to fly back there without any cushion at all, so this is an improvement over that, but I wasn't ever super comfortable being blind as a bat back there either. I need to make sure I'm good to go back there soon.
Steve found it exhausting to get in and ready to go in the T-6. All the straps that needed adjusted, the start sequence, all the stuff you're doing for the first time that's different from your other planes. We got in and started and he said he was about ready for a nap before we got in the air. :) He didn't fly around super long, though we did fly over and circle over Nathan's house and wave hi to them down there in the pool. :)
Coming in to land, somebody called out a 9 mile final. It was an unwanted distraction, talking through all the stuff in the landing, power settings, power push, flaps, trim, gear, gear down indications, etc., all non-standard, while someone else is on a long final, and you're trying to judge. We got on final first and landed, and as Steve's juggling it on landing roll-out, the guy asks if we're clear the runway yet. Well, unless he's blind in that Cherokee, he could see we were still on the runway. So asking that he was just pushing us, which neither of us appreciated. Wait yer turn, man, or go around, and welcome to General Aviation. Steve's landing wasn't bad, either, by the way. lol
Forgot the hair tie. I'll pay for that tomorrow.
Steve up front turning us around.
No comments:
Post a Comment