I heard from Kaylee that she is working on being certified in CPR, First Aid, and AED training. I have to go Google that one now, as I have no idea what AED training is. (Okay, Automatic External Defibrillator. Don't those have directions that tell you what to do step by step as you go right on the unit? Anyway, cool, got it.) As of this afternoon she is officially certified in First Aid. She texted me that she's too busy to talk, so I'll wait to see what she says tonight when she goes to bed. No photos because she's not at camp with campers, just counselor training and they don't post parent pictures for that one for some reason. ;)
This morning I had a student at 8 am, who apologized three times for making me get up so early, and handed me a fresh donut (in a bag) as a peace offering. Now this is my kind of student. ;) I didn't even eat the donut, I gave it to Steve, but the gesture made my morning.
The winds and turbulence were picking up by the time we finished, and she's working on the pattern, so we ended at a good time. Right after that, I was supposed to go up with Kayleigh B in the T-6. Her first hour was in a Cub with me, her first flight in a warbird was in Checkertail with me, and she was .6 away from breaking 100 hours tailwheel time, so she wanted to do that with me in an official T-6 checkout start. So we did. The winds had me feeling iffy about it. The forecast was for 25 knot gusts, and it kept going from fairly close down the runway to 50 degrees off the runway. If it's 25 knots down the runway or within about 30 degrees, fine. If it's 25 knots 50 degrees off the runway and I'm in the back and this is someone's first flight in the T-6 and they're doing it and I have to save it, now I'm not feeling so relaxed. But the winds didn't get up to 25 for one thing, I think I heard them top out around 17 or so. When we were coming down final, the winds were 50 degrees off. When we leveled off to flare, the winds were almost right down the runway. Thanks for that, I appreciated it, Mother Nature, or Lord, or both! I stuck a box that Nathan used for Jamie in the back of the Mustang so he could see, under my parachute. That sat me up so high my head was close to the canopy. But by George I could see! Lol It totally feels like cheating though. I've never had a cushion that stayed up high enough that I could see well, and I've flown it without any cushion at all back there, blind, but for today I just wanted the extra insurance. The flight went well, we didn't do a lot, but there's a lot to learn, go over, etc. from preflight to start up to taxi to takeoff to slow flight and turns, to landing. It took an hour just to do those things, and is plenty to remember for the first time. Next up we'll do steep turns, slow flight, and probably stalls, and start in on takeoffs and landings.
Tomorrow we're supposed to go to Huntington to give T-6 rides. The weather is questionable. Possibility of storms throughout the day, and higher winds, and at Huntington that's always not fun, thanks to the runway being surrounded by trees. It's rough and turbulent coming in there with less than 10 knots of wind, let alone double that. So, hoping that it'll be reasonable for both the riders, and me tomorrow.
Double rainbow at Kokomo yesterday
Kayleigh in the front seat
That bar is in an unhandy spot for backseaters, but I'm okay with that.
Hahaha!!
The two of us after the flight.


No comments:
Post a Comment