Sunday, April 02, 2017

Sunny Day

It was a sunny Sunday.  Our new roof looks good, Steve did lots of work around the house, Kaylee slept in until noon and then grumbled at me when I went to wake her up, so I took her phone, turned on an annoying song, put it on the other side of her room, and left.  She mumbled "I don't like you!"  I said "Yes you do".  Heh.

At 3 pm Kaylee and I went out flying.  Today we did power off and on stalls, slips, ground reference maneuvers, and the pattern.  Something that impressed me--I was talking about s-turns across a road.  She got the point and was able to visualize it enough to tell me that she'd need to have a steeper turn on "this" side in order to make it over the road.  It doesn't sound like much, but I don't remember anybody else filling in the "how to do the maneuver" before I finished explaining it.  When I said she wanted to be the same distance from the road on either side regardless of winds, she said "Sure, like a sine wave, equal distance."  She understood, and does a good job holding her airspeed down final.  Weather is going to be bad tomorrow, but Tuesday I'm hoping to get her back up and work on mostly pattern stuff.  I've been pushing her.  Any other time we've flown, I've been easy on her, keeping it light and fun.  Now we still try to have a good time, but we're working.  I can tell when she's having enough, when she gets tired or sloppy, and that's when we fly over Greentown or Mississinewa, or just around Kokomo then come in and land.  This time we made it longer than previous flights.  She was annoyed because her landing wasn't that great yet.  I told her we haven't started working on that for real yet, first things first, and she's moving there fast.  :)

After she and I flew, I ran her to her youth group, then went back to Kokomo and flew the Cub for awhile.  It was slightly chilly at 60 degrees with the door and window hanging open and the air blowing at you at 60-80 mph, but bundled up it was warm enough, and worth it.

One photo I sneaked of Kaylee preflighting the 172, and then a series of landing shots with me and my shadow...



Airport off the wing.

A view down a long final

And some shadows...




Eek!  :)



I like how you can see the tailwheel, the prop, the struts, everything in these shadows...


No comments: