I don't know what's happened where I suddenly forget to post here for days at a time. It just occurs to me that I haven't said anything in awhile. I'll work on getting better at that even if nothing interesting happens, just so you know we're still alive and well over here. :)
The last couple of days I've gotten quite a few things done that I needed to, actually making little lists for the day. I'll be honest, I hate To Do lists. It stems from having a Saturday (or incoming guest or other) chore list that almost never ended well, and I used to hate waking up and finding the list for the day. lol But I kept trying to remember what I wanted to do for the day and kept forgetting, so finally I wrote it down like the middle-aged woman I am apparently becoming. :p
Apparently a mother bunny made a nest and had babies in the middle of the taxiway area at Glenndale. Let's say that one baby bunny was brought into the lunch room, a tiny little fuzzy fellow, as small as my palm. I sent a picture of him to Kaylee, who promptly texted me in all capitals things like "I WANT TO HOLD HIM." and "BRING HIM HOME SO I CAN HOLD HIM". It really was an adorable little dude. I hope he (she, he, I didn't look that close nor know how rabbits...present). ;)
I've been asked to write an article for the WASP newsletter on either flying a T-6, or Kaylee and I flying in it. An article was already done on the two of us, so I don't know. It's due in two weeks so I need to focus and start coming up with something.
The recital where Kaylee sings and I play isn't until the 3rd week in May, so I have a couple more weeks on that. Her voice/piano teacher wants me to come with Kaylee for a lesson ahead of time so she can hear how it's going and offer any help. I don't blame her, I wouldn't put on a public recital without hearing how it was going to sound either. ;)
(Serious paragraph you may want to skip) There's a Netflix series called "13 Reasons". It's the story of a teenage girl who takes her own life. Before she does, she makes up 13 tapes that explains who the 13 people are that combined basically made her decide to end it all. There's a big hububub about it right now. I brought it up to Kaylee, who declared it "dumb" and not worth your time. Other parents are swearing it's a good way to open the door to talk about suicide with their teens. I just talk to Kaylee about it as it comes up normally, and I wouldn't really care to watch this with her unless she wanted to, which she didn't. But I watched, just to stay up on what's going around. I have to say, I am not the target audience for that series. The majority of the 13 reasons she gave, the same things or much worse happened to about every teenage kid I know, myself included. Somebody passed around an untruth about you? A guy pretended to like you only to get mad and say something mean if you weren't interested? You had a friend who you lost because of a misunderstanding? You were a new kid in school and didn't know too many people? Did anybody really ever get through Jr. High and High School without most of this stuff? She turned away from a friend, yelled and swore and screamed at him, and then blamed him when he didn't chase after her and make her feel better anyway? That may be a teen girl thing to do, but no. Last but not least she went to the school counselor to tell him about something that happened to her. He tried to help her but she wouldn't get specific or talk to him. Then she said she couldn't for sure say what happened, and wouldn't confront the person, and couldn't press charges against him, so the counselor said if she wouldn't or couldn't do any of those things, she'd have to find a way to move on and he'd be happy to help her. She went home and ended it there, blaming him as her last chance at life, and after she yelled at him and said she was going to move on, she waited outside his door for HIM to chase after her. He "failed" her when he didn't know that, somehow. People aren't mind readers. All she had to do was say to someone, anyone "I am having suicidal thoughts, can you help me", and her loving parents, the caring counselor, and several of her friends would have been right there. But she didn't do any of that, just hid it all and then blamed everyone else. She chose what she chose, and it is sad, but it is not 13 people's fault. She made those tapes to get back at everyone who hurt her feelings, having them passed around after she was gone. And so far I've already heard of one teenager a friend of mine knows who took her own life and left notes for everyone, referencing this movie. Great. It was overblown, cheesy, and unfair, and Kaylee's initial assessment was right on. So it's a sad topic, and probably a good one to bring up these days, but this series wouldn't be how I'd choose to portray it. Everyone's talking about how she felt she had no choice/options, how it's good to see how these things happen. And I, as usual, didn't appreciate the current majority sheep opinion of something. She was beautiful, physically attractive, confident and sarcastic, had more friends than lots of people do, outgoing in many regards, talented and smart, had parents who were there, engaged, and loved her, and they picked this character to be a high suicide threat. You know, instead of the geeky, unattractive, painfully shy, picked on, awkward kid who usually bears the brunt of high school bullies and shenanigans and really does feel like there might not be any hope of anything better to come. I don't know. Hopefully the series does no harm, that's all.
The weather is going to kill off tomorrow's flying, I'm sure, which is okay with me. I feel like sleeping in, if I can.
Kaylee has tomorrow off, and as far as I know has no big plans other than homework, which she will probably procrastinate on until Sunday. She crawled up in my chair with me again this afternoon, and fell asleep. Lately she's been doing that almost every day. I think I'm her safe and comfy space to take a nap. Yes, I'm okay with that, even if it makes my arm go numb and I can't get up to go to the bathroom and I can't sleep myself or do much of anything else while she's asleep. She's too cute to disturb, and I'll gladly take it.

No comments:
Post a Comment