I had an unpleasant dream last night. I tried to shake it off but it kept coming back at me throughout the day. Vivid. (Don't read this Moms). I dreamed I was in the Mustang. I was either brand new to it, or had taken it without permission. My heart was beating pretty hard, adrenaline was up. I was coming in to land, and on final I glanced at the airspeed indicator, and I was getting too slow, so I lowered the nose a bit and added a bit of power. Right then I bumped a button that activated the autopilot, and the airplane pitched up violently so fast that I couldn't do anything about it. I looked at the airspeed and saw it at 90 and decreasing, I could feel the airplane let go and quit flying, I was inverted and heading down, and I screamed "NOOOO", not because I was scared as much as I was ANGRY. In the dream I was furious knowing what was about to happen. I even flashed on knowing what people would say about it, and on my family. I was screaming at the top of my lungs, in anger, the whole time I was trying to recover, even knowing I didn't have room. And then my subconscious took over, and in a part that's actually funny, the little voice in the back of my head said "The Mustang didn't have an autopilot, that's stupid" and I woke myself up before. If I was going to dream about the Mustang, and flying it solo, I'd like to request a vivid dream which seems utterly realistic in which I am flying the rivets off the thing and grinning ear to ear the whole time after executing perfect moves. ;)
This morning after I took Kaylee to band practice at 7 a.m., a 20 minute car ride in which neither one of us spoke a word the entire time, I came home, slept for another hour, then got up and started working on some stuff. Around 11 I was getting ready to take a shower when I got a text from MBros asking if I was available to run some parts to St. Louis. The thing was, I had to be back by 3 pm so I could get to the bus stop by 3:30 and pick up Kaylee. It's a 3 hour round trip flight to St. Louis, so I'd have to be wheels-up no later than noon and have no ground time there. It was already 11. I threw myself in the shower, didn't even put on my make-up, and ran out the door. I ran out the door so fast I forgot my purse. Which had my hangar keys in it, along with credit card for landing fee, and oh yeah, driver's and pilot's license. I also hadn't eaten all day yet. I checked the weather in the car on the way there, and then the airport was switched to a different one, an Air Force base. I had Dustin help me out with a few things like making SURE I was allowed to land at the Air Force base (I was) and told him I needed him to call and pay via credit card over the phone my landing fee, which he did. Justin H was out at the airport so I got him to let me in the hangar, and after he got the fuel truck for me and topped me off ASAP, I threw my stuff and the parts into the plane, threw him into the plane, locked the door and launched, at 12:03. Perfect. I had to shoot an ILS approach into the airport, but it wasn't very low, which was good, because again, I never got a glideslope. Something's wrong with the airplane software, I'm guessing. I get a glideslope fine on RNAV approaches, but the last three ILSs I've done, no glideslope. And it does auto-slew over to the ILS runway heading by the way. Anyway. We landed, threw the boxes on the counter, hit the bathroom, climbed back in and headed home. I touched down at 2:58 pm, had the plane put away and was driving off at 3:05 pm, exactly in time to make it to Kaylee's bus stop. Boo-ya.
The airport closed all the exits to Runway 5/23, the one that was supposed to be open today. So you had to taxi down Runway 14, which was NOTAMED closed, in order to get back to the ramp. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. These guys are making flying out of there a big unprofessional moving target.
Anyway.
Kaylee needed to go back to the school tonight at 5 pm for band. I dropped her off, then ran to Glenndale, picked up the brats and hamburgers for tomorrow, ran them back to Kokomo in the fridge, and then went back to Kaylee's school. Tonight was Homecoming Night, and the band was playing. I brought my good camera to try to get a good shot of her in her marching outfit for once. She said it started at 7. I made it there at 6:50, and as I was pulling in, I saw the band standing there while everyone in the stands stood and they were already playing, finishing up the National Anthem. I missed it. They went early. I grabbed my camera, and...no SD card in it. I'd not put the SD card back in it from the last thing I did. So I just had my cell phone after all. Still no good pictures. I sat on the bleachers for the first half and watched Eastern get CREAMED. By half time it was 37 to 0. At Homecoming. I heard the principal's daughter ask why they scheduled a team that would cream them for Homecoming and he just shrugged. It was painful. We couldn't score, we couldn't stop them from scoring, and it was ugly. At halftime Kaylee and the band got up and played, and did a nice job. It was *really* cold out there too, everyone was shaking and freezing. After Kaylee played, I left, since she was done for the night. I ran back to town, ordered Japanese from my car, and picked it up. Right then Kaylee said "Come get me". She didn't have to stay for the whole game after all. So I drove back and picked her up, then took my Japanese home, along with some nice cool Moscato, and finally sat down to enjoy "Bluebloods" for a minute before tomorrow starts.
Now we all need to go to bed, since it's 12:30 a.m., and we have to get up early, because I have to drive Kaylee to a band camp at 8 a.m., and then I'll need to head to Kokomo for our Young Eagle's event. Whew.
No comments:
Post a Comment