Thursday, June 11, 2015

Lack of Productivity

This was a day of being totally busy while accomplishing absolutely nothing.   I was supposed to do an imaging flight today, but they were supposed to send me the mission yesterday, and by the time I went to bed at 12:30 a.m., it had never arrived.  I actually slept in this morning, the first time in awhile.  When I got up at 9, I saw they had sent the mission after 2 a.m.  I looked at the weather, and it was perfect...right now...but was going to go downhill.  The next 3 days look bad, so it's now or a problem.  Well, from that point on it was a race.  I threw myself into the shower, ran out to the airport, got the plane ready, and then...had to download the mission, which took 45 minutes because now it was a 4  area big mission.  After sitting 45 more minutes, I took off, got 3/4ths of the way to the first area, and the clouds rolled in.  It was too late.  So I turned around and flew back to Kokomo so as to minimize the loss, landed, and it was time to go to lunch.  Half the day gone, wasted, nothing accomplished.  I ate lunch, went back out to Kokomo and had a one-hour flight, and then was trying to solo the kid.  But the winds were gusting up to 18, which is not great solo weather for a new student.  I kept hoping it would die down, but it didn't.  I waited, then finally called him off, because there's nothing else he needs to do but solo.  I cancel him and the winds switched to right down the runway at 14 still gusting to 17 or 18.  He could have handled it.  But it's still a gusty day for a first solo.  But he could have handled it.  *sigh*  Now that he was canceled, the weather looked possible for doing that imaging flight again.  But questionable.  So I sent an email to them asking for their input--did they want me to give it a try knowing it may not work out, but it's the last good day for the next several days, or did they want me to wait.  Normally they get back to me in 5 minutes.  This time an hour went by while I sat in the hangar, until I sent another message saying "In 15 minutes I'm going to hang it up for the day as I don't want to take on that flight with possible wasted hours without your consent."  He got right back to that, and looked, and told me not to try, it wasn't worth it.  It was now 5 pm and I'd still accomplished nothing.

So I stopped at Culvers and got a chocolate concrete mixer with Reece's Peanut Butter Cups in it, and was only going to eat half, but it was REALLY good, so I ate most of it and a salad and spent some extra time walking instead.  ;) 

I was invited to do a 5K Run on Chicago O'Hare's Airport Runway 10L.  I told them I'd walk it, but I'm not running it.  I haven't heard back, so I guess that wasn't a good response, but it is what it is.  I've already told them I'm not a runner, and never will be, so, sorry, but no.  I'd sprain my ankle in the first 100 yards, and be walking by 200 yards anyway.  Optimistically.

How many times do you talk someone off of a ledge before you either walk away and leave them to their own devices, tell them to go ahead and jump, or maybe even push them off of it yourself?  Just wondering. 

We are getting hit with ants again.  My stuff doesn't seem to be working, and it's no longer clear colored like it used to be, so I'm going to buy some more tomorrow, and hopefully that will do it.  The ants also got into the cat food on the deck, were climbing all over it.  Nasty little buggers.  So Steve sprayed the deck tonight, and will be spraying around the baseboards in the house too.  Hopefully that chases off spiders too.  He said it did, then he said it didn't and he just said that to make me feel better, and now I'm not sure what to believe.  ;)

Tomorrow should be no flying, bad weather, and maybe a little time to catch up on some stuff.  I hope.

No comments: