Friday, May 01, 2015

May Day

 
That's probably not a great title for a pilot, but it didn't really occur to me until just now, and now I think it's sort of funny too, so I'll just leave it.
 
I somehow walked off without my iPad today, but still managed to survive making a trip to Kansas City without it.  I was left with only two on-board GPSs, my iPhone with two flight planning apps on it, and approach plates on both the G500 and the Avidyne. I'm not sure how I was supposed to manage with that limited number of resources.!
 
It didn't hurt that it was an awful pretty day.  Light winds, clear skies, no turbulence, easy peasy.

My people arrived almost an hour early, which is about when I got there too, so I just topped off and turned around and brought them home.  Well, I tried to turn around--Kansas City made me sit on the ground for 18 minutes before they released me.  It was severe VFR, I came really close to just telling them to take a hike and going out VFR, but I didn't. 

When I got home, I dropped them off, and then I went right over to Mt. Comfort, where there was the formation clinic ground school going on.  I had been looking forward to seeing some of the guys, since I hadn't seen them in about 8 months now, but I'd had a hard time getting any info on what time/exact location, something I finally got from a Terre Haute guy (who didn't end up going himself).  I told one of the guys there I'd be there a little late but I'd be there.  When I got there, the table was full, the ramp was full of planes, almost all Yaks and CJs, a few RVs.  Mostly I didn't know the people; I only recognized 3 of the planes.  The main guy I do know was up front teaching the ground school.  Apparently word didn't get passed along that I'd be there; there wasn't an empty chair around to pull up or sit in, nobody said hello, or waved me in, but kept going on the ground school without a word or nod; I waited, standing behind the group for a bit, until I walked back out and flew home.  I didn't need the ground school, and I sure didn't need to stand there any longer...I had pizza and family to attend to.  ;)

It was a great day for a flight though...blue skies and calm winds can bring anybody a little peace.

No comments: