She said that there were over 100 people trying out for about 7 slots total, some of which are going to boys and some of which are going to sopranos, so very few slots for altos with still a large chunk of people trying out for them. They ran auditions from fairly early after school until, well, I'm not sure, but I know they had auditions at 9 p.m. still going on. The kids performed one at a time in front of a panel of 9 judges, with no-one else allowed in the room. The kids' teachers had put together a personality and character reference and gave that to the judges, and that factors into their decision. The kids sing individually, then come back in and do a choreographed dance with a partner, and everything is scored by these 9 judges, and each kid is given a percentage. The top percentages go to the top group, Encore. The remaining slots are filled by the Starlets group. Everyone else is out of luck on the groups and goes to the Concert Choir group. The results will be posted after school tomorrow.
Kaylee has a good group of friends. There are over a dozen of them in her group, and they all tried out. They all worked together to practice their dances and songs, and everything. Obviously they can't all get in, so they decided that over the weekend they wouldn't be doing any texting amongst each other. They're all going to know who got in and who didn't, and they're going to be happy for anyone who makes it, if any of them do, and they will be sad for those who didn't, and decided to just not talk about it over the weekend and give each other some space.
As for how she did--Kaylee says she didn't feel as though she made any grave errors. She said she felt pretty good about the dance, and a little less good about the singing. She said that normally she's really nervous before she performs, but once she gets on stage it goes away and she's good to go and belt it out; but this time she said she wasn't as nervous as normal, but once she got up there, the nerves she had, stayed. She felt like her voice was a little shaky, but said that they'd told the kids that they would make allowances for nerves. I don't know... She said she didn't hit any wrong notes or forget her lines like some people did, but she just didn't feel like it was memorable and top notch, and she feels pretty sure that her name won't be on the list tomorrow...while still hoping that maybe it will. As we were driving to her audition, she said "Oh, man, that car we just passed coming from the school had a girl crying in it." I was trying to lighten the mood, so in my slightly twisted way, I said "Well, one down, 99 to go." She looks over and says "MOM!" I raised my hands in surrender and said I was JUST KIDDING...but I made her laugh, anyway.
Yes, I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I know.
This is kind of rude, so I sort of apologize, but it's funny and some of you will like it. After her DI meeting, Kaylee got in the car, and immediately said "It smells like butts in here. Did you fart or is that broccoli?!" Well, it was broccoli and Seafood Delight from the Chinese place, but it cracked me up.
I flew twice today. First thing this morning I flew with someone who I'm trying to get through solo. He's leaving the country for two months coming up here, and he really wants to go solo. He's spent a lot of time working towards it. He's going to be one of a very few number of students that I'm going to be a little concerned about. Today I went up and did over an hour and a half of emergencies. I pulled his engine more than a dozen times at all sorts of places, from up high by a field to the majority of them at the airport, starting with downwind so you could make your runway, moving on to too low to get back to the runway we took off on but close enough to make the crossing runway, with a direct crosswind, from all directions. I did it over and over, trying to and sometimes succeeding in getting him a little flustered, but he did pretty well with it. Tomorrow is supposed to be a calm wind day. If he's able to be consistent and safe, I'm going to send him solo. If I can't get out of the plane, so be it, he needs to survive this more than he needs to accomplish the milestone, but we're going to give it a try before he leaves in a few days here.
Next up Ty and I went flying in his Chief. The winds were gusting upwards of 22-25, from the west. He took off and flew over to Glenndale, did the first landing there, and then it was my turn. Of course Glenndale had a nice crosswind going, about a direct crosswind at times. We each did about 4 landings there. The winds picked up a couple times to be pretty sporty, when it comes from the west and how it hits you when you get in between those buildings. We were having to work the landings pretty hard, and one take off picked me up, threw me into the air early, twisted the fuselage around, then dropped me back towards the runway. The last landing I came in high and landed past the hangars and that one was much nicer. I ended on that one, except then we went back to Kokomo and it was time to hit the concrete. I thought about not doing any more landings, because I'd just had a nice one and I wasn't so sure I was going to have a nice one here. :D I didn't really end up with any greasers on the concrete, but I did enjoy myself. Ty started doing a little practice on his one wheel driving around with the wingtip barely off the ground thing. I'm sure we terrorized a few people. He laughed at me when I was a little flat on my first landing and one I dropped in, and I'd laugh at him when a wheel landing didn't work out as planned, say, but it was all in good fun. I did enjoy myself, though now I have a burning urge to get back up in a tailwheel and work at it some more and get more fine tuned again. I'm not content with my current proficiency level there. Glad I went...
Ty and Me in the Chief
Flying along in the Chief, Kokomo Airport off the nose in the distance.

No comments:
Post a Comment